News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

500 engine coolant sensor location

Started by Sllack, August 30, 2011, 03:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sllack

Can anyone describe to me, or help me find the location of the coolant temp sensor (warns at high temp to indicator light on dash).

Thanks ahead!
Signed JKopra

1973 Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible

Dave Shepherd

There is a dash warning light sender for cyl. head metal temp, rear of lt cylinder head. Or do you mean the coolant temp sender?

TJ Hopland

The regular coolant temp light sensor is top front center of the engine.  Its pretty well hidden by the AC compressor.   

The engine temp light sensor is on the left rear corner of the left head.

I thought I had a picture of a complete engine but at least this will give you an idea where to look.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Sllack

Thanks, will let you know if I can succeed putting in a new gauge style one there... luckily the ac lines were broken already as I will have to take off the compressor for sure.
Signed JKopra

Sllack

Thanks for the help! I've decided to leave alone by factory sensor, which works, and add an inline unit to the upper rad hose. Bought it at Speedway motors.com
Signed JKopra

mgbeda

You touch on something I thought might be a good idea once I get my car back together.  The '68s with the 472 still had a temperature gauge, instead of an idiot light.  Could one use that sensor along with a compatible gauge (maybe even from a '68 Cadillac) in a later model 500?

Just curious,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Sllack

Thats an idea, but where would it mount? I am mounting a standard sunpro 3 pack bottom left of the steering wheel. I just haven't finished hooking them all up yet.

I just cant see driving an old car blindly, I need to have some clue how its running, empirically.
Signed JKopra

TJ Hopland

I currently have one of those 3 gauge things but at some point plan on changing to the unit in  this thread:

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/technical-authenticity/aftermarket-gauges/msg175257/#msg175257
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason