News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

More Cadillacs abroad...

Started by veesixteen, September 02, 2011, 01:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

Many of "our" cars have gone overseas. We should be sorry.  Still, it's nice to know that they are not "lost forever". Many (most) of them have been acquired and are cared for by enthusiasts like ourselves,  from all over Europe. Obviously, they care for their cars as much as we do ... as you can readily see from the hundreds of photos taken this summer in Kremsmunster, Austria, on the occasion of the annual "Big Cadillac Meet" there. 

http://www.cadillac-meeting.com/english/pictures/pictures.html

If you decide to use any of these, images, please credit their authors where they are listed.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Just got another batch, via my friend and Cadillac toy collector, Chris Hardegger in Switzerland:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150344288519462.399813.636824461&type=1
I hope these can be viewed on this link.  Otherwise y'all need to get a Facebook page.

Roger Zimmermann

I'm wondering why some Lincolns are present...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chris Conklin

Wow! Very nice Cadillacs, every one of them. Liked 'em all... even the zebra striped interior in the red Eldorado. I've entertained thoughts of black and white cow hide for mine, but then I would definitely have to get some horns for it too!
Chris Conklin

kib

Here in Norway there is many Cadillac´s, I have been lucky to own 5 different models.

www.veterancadillac.com

kib

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on September 02, 2011, 02:29:09 AM
I'm wondering why some Lincolns are present...

This meeting has a special title/spotlight every year.
This year, it was "Cadillac meets Lincoln".

We have been visiting this Kremsmünster Big Meet for some years. This year was not an exception either.
Here are some more photos taken by my friends (I left my camera at home :-[).

http://www.v8cars.hu/album.php?album=4e5b446078771&show=all

http://www.v8cars.hu/album.php?album=4e5c7ff62a45d&show=all
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Great pictures.

I was wondering, other than the US plates on the cars I see most are long plates but some are more US size, sometimes I'd see cars in Europe with same plate number but with 1 long plate and 1 more squarish plate on same car. Are the long ones all Germany plates and the others from others from other countries?

I'm going to plan my Germany trip to coincide with this show to go before I come back home.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

C.R. Patton II

The club members in Europe have fantastic Cadillacs and LaSalles. This was very evident last year at the Cadillac LaSalle Club Grand European in Richelieu, France. I especially loved Switzerland's Roger Zimmermans' Cadillac and Belgium's Erik Debusschere's LaSalle. Plan now to attend the next Grand European in 2013 to see the Standard of the World for yourself. I'll see you there.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

veesixteen

Here are some tags from Switzerland (off my '67 Mustang, circa 1969-70).

veesixteen

BTW, the "CH" at the rear/LH side of the Mustang stands for "Confoederatio Helvetica" which is Latin for "Federation of Switzerland" and not "CHwitzerland", as some joker once said! The badge at the right is one I made up; it incorporates both the French and Scottish flags, as well as the letter "F" for "France" and "ECOSSE" (which is French for "Scotland"; the latter is the plate favored by Scottish Nationalist drivers touring the continent; they would NOT want to be assimilated with English drivers or those carrying "GB" plates (for "Great Britain")!

Roger Zimmermann

License plates in Switzerland is a strange matter: the front one are small; the rear ones  which are square have the same dimension as the US plates. There is an option for the rear plates in switerland: all letters and numbers on one line, depending of the vehicle on which the license plate is installed.
License plates in the rest of Europe have a silly format: huge, huge and huge! It seems that the people who should read the license plates in Europe have really bad eyes. European cars are designed to let install those mounstous plates; the real problem comes when somebody attempt to install such a plate on a US car which rear (or front, like a Corvette) license plate pocket is designed for the US format.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jay Friedman

Roger,

My daughter and son-in-law live in Geneva where he works for the UN and so they must have diplomatic plates on their car.  Unlike the regular small Swiss front plates, the front plates for diplomats are the same large size as the rear plates.  I was visiting them earlier this year when they bought a car, an Audi, which came with a small front plate mounting bracket.  The service manager of the local Audi dealer said a new front bracket for a large plate would cost many Swiss francs and have to be ordered specially.  The situation then became one we face with our old cars: did they want that expensive authentic part or one that the service manager said he'd fabricate in his shop by modifying the small bracket, free of charge, which would work perfectly but look funny? ("pas très joli" as he said in French)  Not being old car nuts like us they opted for the latter.   

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

veesixteen

Note how Roger's tags have the letters "BE" (for Berne, the canton - or state - for the Swiss capital). Mine had "GE" (for Geneva).
In the USA, these letters serve the same purpose: "NY", "NC", "SC", "FL", "WA", "KY" and so forth.
I hope you all noticed Roger's FABULOUS, oxblood 1956 Sedan de Ville!  Look at the shine on those front wheel covers!
His 1956 Eldorado Biarritz is just as perfect, as is also his ebony 1957 Eldorado Brougham. Need I add that he is a perfecionist.

Roger Zimmermann

You are too kind Yann! And you know how pictures can lie!
OK, my de Ville is not that bad, but it was restored in 1983 or 84; it's not perfect any more.

To Jay:
I was not aware that diplomatic license plates are the large ones in the front. Probably because the symbold CD or AT have no available space on the small plate...

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101