News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 - How dash pad attaches to dash?

Started by Dan Koser, September 12, 2011, 11:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

Mine dash pad was in pieces when I got the car, and now that I have the new one ("Just Dashes"...did a great job, but $$$), I'm confused about how the pad attaches to the metal dash below. There are inserts underneath the pad, but I'm not sure if they are to receive speed nuts, or do small bolts protrude from these inserts, thru the dash, then you install nuts. Like I said...I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Dan Koser

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question. I found the answer to this question while searching through the 1957 Cadillac Shop Manual I have on page 17-9. This has an illustration that show that screws originate on the passenger compartment side of the instrument panel and screw into the pad....presumably speed nuts that fit into the recesses in the bottom of the pad. Also presumably short screws to ensure that they don't protrude through the pad. Additionally, Fig. 17-17 shows that the material covering the pad is to be cemented along the outer perimeter.

Walter Youshock

That's about it.  There is an update in one of the Servicemen I was going to get to you.  There are 2 screws that hold the dash top to the lower dash where the instrument cluster goes.  They both face the passenger side of the car and are then covered with the vinyl.  They neglected to mention those in the Shop Manual.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham