News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60 cad fuel sender question

Started by xilrr8n, September 13, 2011, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xilrr8n

Hello all

I have a question on a fuel sender. On my 60 cad, the guage always read about 1/4, so I dropped the tank and pulled the sender out. I noticed a thin, flat piece of brass going from the brown wire(not ground) to the internals of the sending unit... this brass strip was broken, should I solder it back together? Will this make the sender work correctly? I just don't see how this brass strip could break, it doesn't move at all. Also are the cork floats always good or do they go bad? I just acquired this car, it was stored inside for about 15 years. When I drained the tank, only a little sediment came out...otherwise clean, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

dadscad

I had the same issue with my 63 when I became it's care taker. The brass strip broke at the point where the top of the fuel level was in the tank. My car sat for 11 years with about a half tank of leaded premium in it before I took it out of storage. I don't know if solder will hold in fuel, guess it would. Otherwise, a replacement is in order. I found a used one, I think from Caddy Daddy, been a long time ago.

That broken strip will keep the unit from working. Check the shop manual for proper float arm adjustment before you install a replacement or your repaired original.

Good luck,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

xilrr8n

Thanks dadscad, I soldered the brass strip back together put in 15 gallons of gas and the guage read 3/4 tank...perfect. Hope this helps anyone else out there with sender issues.