News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HELP I would like to install the best aftermarket AC in my 1956 under dash unit

Started by dbl, September 13, 2011, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbl

I would like to put AC in my 1956 the motor is 365 and I can't find a company with a complete kit for sale

Dan LeBlanc

Many people have success with the units from Vintage Air.  You'll have to fabricate compressor brackets, but they do have good products.  It also means you'll be on the hunt for 3-groove crank and water pump pulleys.  I'd also recommend upgrading the water pump to the heavier a/c car unit to accommodate the heavier load on the pulley if you use a water pump pulley.  Another good idea would be a fan shroud and a better cooling fan to help offset the extra heat generated from the condenser.

The other option would be to find a period-correct complete system from that era with the bracketry and pulleys and such.  I got lucky in that respect with my 62 Coupe and the system worked well.  It was a hard find, though and parts were impossible to source if I needed them.  All I had to do was source a 3 groove crank pulley as the system I found had idler pulleys to route the belt away from the water pump.  Once again, I got lucky with that system.

No matter how you cut it, there is no simple bolt-on solution for these cars.  The market is too limited, much unlike the tri-five Chevies for example which you can get complete bolt in kits for.  That market is much larger so it is practical to manufacture a solution.  When you compare the production numbers for 1956 Chevrolet, it looks something like this:

150 series:  143013
210 series:  831971
Bel airs:       800968
Total:        1,775,952 cars

1956 Cadillac production:  128,452 not including Eldorados.

Hence, no bolt-on solutions for us Caddy guys.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

kkarrer

Aside from Vintage Air, there are also units by Classic Air and Old Air and others.  I've installed some Classic and Vintage Air units.  They both may have ideas for you on brackets that would work.  If nothing else they may have some drawings.  Most of those brackets can easily be fashioned from 3/16 or 1/4" flat steel.  A plasma cutter is helpful, but as long as you have a torch, a grinder, and a mig or stick welder, making those brackets isn't too tough.  I've fabbed them up from scratch by using cardboard stock, scissors, and tape when I don' t have something to start with that just needs a modification.  I'd try to go this way if you can as the new Sanden type compressor is much more efficient and smaller than the origianl unit. (You also won't have to retrofit an old compressor from R12)  The triple pulleys are generally pretty avialable for GM stuff.
Ken Karrer (41 Cad. Coupe)

quadfins

I vaguely remember hearing/reading about a company that disguised a Sanden compressor within the body of an A-5 compressor. Kept the original looks, but had the benefits of modern technology.

Anyone have any more info???

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

bcroe

The add on AC typically used their own crank pulley, a larger belt.  It
ran over an idler to the compressor.  None of the original pulleys affected,
no 3 grove unit needed.  I still have a couple in the attic, and some of
the installation drawings. 

Bruce Roe

pauldridge

I've installed the all-metal MK IV underdash unit from Vintage Air on two cars now, and have been incredibly pleased with the results (picture shown below is from my Hudson Hornet Coupe, but same unit now installed on the '40 60 Special).  I've always been impressed with the engineering and installation documentation from Vintage Air... 4 installations now, and never had to call for install support.

It blows so cold I literally have to keep it on the lowest fan speed and warmest temperature to keep from getting frostbite, and that's in Texas summer!

I've had good success on 2 different vehicles just using a single belt to power all underhood accessories, including the A/C compressor.  The Sanden-style compressors require very little horsepower, unlike the old period-style GM compressors.  On my '59 Jag MK IX, the one belt drives the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor (out of necessity.. there is absolutely no room up front for a second drive pulley), and I've had no problems with this arrangement!

Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]