News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 convertible restoration questions

Started by gangster49vert, September 15, 2011, 05:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gangster49vert

I just bought a 49 convertible an I am planning on restoring the vehicle as original as possible. One of the questions I have is ..should the vehicle be restored to the original color code 17 corinth blue or if I say with in the factory color chart and paint it #9 maderia maroon or possibly black would it affect the value of the vehicle in the long run? Is corinth blue a sought after color for a 49 convertible? I need  Some feedback im not an expert on 49 Cadillacs but the one I have truly deserves the best of treatment. I am currently looking for parts including the trunk latch assemblies,chrome molding lower convertible top,washer bottle and pump, cig lighter 'rear ash trays,window switches, interior trim?  Thanks..... Gary

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I would say generally, you would be better off keeping the car the original factory color. In the long run, the value would probably be more. However, if you really don't like the original color, paint it the color you like. It's your car. I would though, stay with one of the original colors offered in 49. Good luck with it!
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Tito Sobrinho

After you join the CLC, I recommend you to join the 1949 Chapter within the CLC by writing to Joe Cutler the President...49caddymanemail addresses not permitted. 
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

49 Convertible

In answer to your color dilemma...It is always best to try to match colors originally coded for the car including upholstery color.  Blues are very hard to match. I have done 2 convertibles..a 1948 Blue with Tan interior and just finished a Blue with red interior.  I would be happy to give you any help you may need in the way of ???  I am also one of the conspirators of the 48/49 Authenticity Manual.  Email me direct if you wish ...herman@dictatrans.com.
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

runnin rich

I agree with the last post, paint it the color that you like. My 47 convt.
             was black when purchased, repainted Maderia and after a few years
             painted antoinette blue which is the correct color from the factory.
              My opinion is that as long as the color is a factory authorized color for that
              year the value of the car will not be effected.
                                                           Runninrich #849
R. Nalavany # 849

Chris Conklin

From what I understand, if the car were to be judged at a CLC event it would have to be in a color that was correct and available in 1949 for that car. You would not lose points if it doesn't match the factory build. To go even further, what would effect the future price of the car more than adherence to the original color is national recognition.  ;)

What is the top (black or tan) and interior? Any pictures? Keep us posted.
Chris Conklin

49 Convertible

Further to my earlier post to your questions...When you ask for trunk latch assembly are you asking for the handle or the mechanism that screws to the lid and locks the lid to the body when handle is turned?  Chrome moulding lower top is this the pin moulding that the boot snaps to when top is down or the s/s trim that goes around the body to the side s/s trim?.  Cigarette lighter on dash?  Ash trays in rear seat area?  Window switch, 3 singles and 1 drivers door?  Interior trim ?? Door garnish mouldings and rear seating area? Door kick panels at base of door?  If you can be more specific I am sure you will find people who have these available.  I may have most of what you are looking for.  Where are you located?
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

gangster49vert

Thank you everyone for your feed back. I am very open to suggestions I feel very fortunate to own this car and would like to enjoy the car in its original condition.  I will get a more complete list of the parts I will need with a better description of the parts I will need. Its good to know there is people out there to help that have the same passion for cars that I do thanks again....Gary

gangster49vert

I will post pics up as soon as I can downsize them on this here hight tech phone ha ha.I have alot of questions for you all so get ready for me to talk your heads off haha

Chris Conklin

Hi Gary, here's a couple pictures from my "bible", Cadillacs of the Forties.
Chris Conklin

gangster49vert

Thanks Chris that will help considerably.