News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Changing rear end gears

Started by Cooke, September 17, 2011, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I have a 1930 Cadillac with 5 to 1 gears and I would like to change them to 3 something or 4 something to 1 gears. I have never changed out gears, is this difficult to do and who might have gears?? I would really like to get the RPMs down.  Thanks, Martin Cooke

Jim Stamper

Setting up gears is not for the unsupervised novice, however that is an area of the automobile that hasn't changed that much in many vehicles. Especially light trucks, so there are a lot of people out there who still know how to set up a set of gears, especially if you give them a book for the car. CDs for setting up rear ends and transmissions for old car work are on EBAY.

Phil Bray, in Michigan produces rear end gears for Packards and others, don't know if he does Cadillacs. Email  braypt@yahoo.com

Jim Stamper,  CLC#13470

Whit Otis, 1188

I had Phil Bray make a set of high speed gears for my 1940-75 and they have worked out great so far.  I bought the gears from Phil and then I was going to do the conversion myself, but chickened out and had a differential shop here in town do it as they had quite a bit of experience in old car converstions.

Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger