News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

what do I use on floor pans ? 1947 convertible

Started by Gary Bakeslee, September 25, 2011, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

I am restoring a 47 convertible and having trouble locating the replacement material that was used on the floor pans for a sound dampener (I think ). It is about 1/8" thick and was stuck to the floor and trunk pans to where a puty knife was required for removal.  It was also used as a gasket around the bolt area of the transmission cover and a cushion for the convertible top lines.  Would someone know where I can purchase this material or what is used for a replacement?

Gary B.
Gary Blakeslee

kkarrer

Gary,
      I'll just tell you what I'm planning to use on my 41 coupe...it's a product called "dynamat."  You can do an internet search.  There are other similar products, so go with what ever suits you there, but this more modern material does not hold moisture (rotting out your floorpans) and insulates against sound and heat.  This stuff is foil backed on each side and is superior to the old "horsehair" type stuff they used to use.  All of the "speed shop" places have it as do catalgue vendors like Speedway Motors.
Ken Karrer
1941 coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Bob Drake Ford parts in Grants Pass OR has an embossed tar paper that is almost identical to the original.  I don't have the part number or page number in the catalog but if you thumb through it you should find it. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo