News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Turn signal problems (49 sedanette)

Started by boulton, September 26, 2011, 09:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boulton

My turn signals stopped working at the end of the cruise season this year.

A new flasher didn't help, but replacing the fuse (AGW-30watt, that's next to it) did.

Problem is, only the right signals work. When I signal left, the lights are flickering from a short somewhere. Could this be in the turn signal switch?
Is there even a replaceable switch in the column?

Maybe there is a short in the wires going to the front or back lights?
One other weird symptom is that both of the left and right arrows blink (in the dash)when I signal right.

This is an original 94K mile car (Dartmouth green) that I inherited from my Texas G-ma.

R Schroeder

Two things I would be checking are the grounds from the socket to the body, and you also could remove the front and rear lights one at a time , on the bad side ,and see what happens.

It could be in the switch but I would do a few checks first , before taking it apart.

You might try different bulbs in the side that is bad too.
Roy

Jay Friedman

I would also check the connections in the harness just behind the lower left lip of the dashboard.  It is held by a couple of large clips.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."