News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Painted Rear Window Trim around a 1968 Eldorado..is this correct?

Started by Rob Troxel, October 01, 2011, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Troxel

My 1968 Eldorado, without the Vinyl top, has it's rear window trim painted the exact color of the car (Normandy Blue)  At several shows I have had someone tell me that this is incorrect..that it should be chrome as is the front windshield trim.  From what I can see on pictures of other  68 Eldorado slick tops offered for sale, it looks like it is right to have the rear trim painted.  Does anyone know who for sure?

Thanks

Rob Troxel

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Rob,
I have never seen SS moldings on those cars. My all original slick top car is painted body color. They are smooth as opposed to the grain look that the vinyl top cars have. I'm not sure where this SS idea got started. I've had people ask me over the years. I think it was the same people that wanted colored steering wheels for their 69 &70's. LOL.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Rob Troxel

Thanks Bob and Jeff!  I see very little from the factory brochure to prove the point so I appreciate all of your input on what you have.  I also just saw a slick top 68 Eldo on E Bay with the back mouldings painted too.

Aaron Hudacky

I think the incorrect assumption that the rear window moldings on painted roof 67-70 Eldorados should be polished vice painted is because generally GM cars, including deVilles, etc., had polished moldings with a painted roof, and often with vinyl. Every painted roof Eldorado I've seen has painted rear moldings as Jeff and Bob have said.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Glen

IIRC there was one Eldo with chrome rear window molding at the GN in Ohio.  But as the others said it is incorrect.  I understand the smooth molding is hard to find as the slick top was a little rare. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Rob Troxel

Guys,

The more I look into this I realized that it's 99.0% certain that the slick top Eldorado's for 67-68 had the smooth painted rear window surround trim. I did see an Eldo with a grained painted trim on a slick top and found out that  the car originally had a vinyl top so it all seems to check out.  I wish I had something in print offer at shows to the naysayers who have mistakenly thought the painted trim was incorrect.

Thanks to all who have checked in on this!

Davidinhartford

Here is the largest factory photo I have of a slick top 68 Eldorado.   You can clearly see the the rear window molding is painted body colour.

Rob Troxel

Thanks David,

That is the best photo to prove the point and one I had not seen!  Could you email this file?  I can't seem to lift it from the website.

All the best,

robtroxelemail addresses not permitted

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a painted r.shield side molding off my 67 parts car.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Davidinhartford

Quote from: robtroxel CLC26014 on October 04, 2011, 10:50:46 AM
Thanks David,

That is the best photo to prove the point and one I had not seen!  Could you email this file?  I can't seem to lift it from the website.

All the best,

robtroxelemail addresses not permitted

You got it!     Check your email.