News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

what am I missing?

Started by Cooke, October 01, 2011, 11:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I have attached a picture of the top of my transmission with a plate blocking off what I think is some kind of vacume pump? The car seems to run OK without it, what is its use when it is working and present?? The fuel pump seems to get its vacume off the manifold and works. Its a 1930 V8.

Johan Boltendal #158

This picture shows what you are looking for, it's a vacuum pump like
you assumed it would be,

Johan 

Cooke

Thanks, Johan, I assume it has no effect  on the running of the car??

Philippe M. Ruel

The vacuum pump is supposed to provide vacuum at all times, including when intake manifold doesn't. It allows, for instance, windshield wipers to still wipe something while car is accelerating or hillclimbing.
1952 60 Special in France.

Johan Boltendal #158

Indeed, it has no effect running the car, you could loose the stewart filling up on a long steep hill, though, due to a lack of vacuum, so Philippe is right,
you actually must have it, to provide all systems with a vacuum all of the time, when you use the car as intended.

Johan

harry s

It also supplies a steady vacuum source for the original vacuum tank fuel supply. Do you have the original vacuum tank/gravity feed fuel system?
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Cooke

I do have the original vacuum fuel supply and the car does seem to be starving for fuel under acceleration or going up hills could this be the reason? The vacuum tank was rebuilt by the previuos owner and seem to work fine.