News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle bumper guards

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, October 01, 2011, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. Just got back front bumper guards for my '37 LaSalle. Does anybody paint the insides of the guards? I was thinking on the inside of primering and painting them black. Has any other member been tempted to do the same? Thanks... John Lehman... CLC # 26365....

markl

John,
As a fellow owner of a 37 LaSalle; yes I am tempted to do the same.  I'll leave it to others to comment on this idea from the standpoint of authenticity etc., but it does seem that the interior of these pieces is always the first area to show rust, and then, inevitably, lose its plating.  The explanation is tied to the fact that plating doesn't "throw" well into concave areas.  I have done the same thing on bumpers from other cars (Alfa Guilia Super) and it does seem to forestall the inevitable rusting.

BTW, where did you get your plating done, and do you feel it was satisfactory?

Mark Lowery, CLC# 25216

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello Mark. I got my plating done by Paul's Chrome in Pennsylvania. I am very happy with their work. I have had 10 or so pieces done and couldn't imagine them looking better than new parts but they do. Most of the parts were pitted and rusted. This company takes the time and effort do do a 1st class job. Thanks for your comment Mark.... John Lehman... CLC # 26365....

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote: "Just got back front bumper guards for my '37 LaSalle. Does anybody paint the insides of the guards? I was thinking on the inside of primering and painting them black. Has any other member been tempted to do the same? Thanks... John Lehman." End of Quote.

Years ago (if needed), I sometimes painted the inside of my bumpers in a silver color to match the original look.  Why black?    I had my 1939 LaSalle plating done by Paul's Chrome and the inside of my bumpers and bumper guards looked just fine when returned from Paul's.   Are yours too rough or are they peeling on the inside so as to warrant painting?  IMO the inside should not be black, but maybe I am missing something.  One thing I did on parts for my 1939 LaSalle was to sandblast the inside of bumpers and bumper guards before sending to the platers, so possibly this accounted for a better look in those areas.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

John L,

I am guilty, I painted the ones on my 37 LaSalle. But painted the inside with a silver so it is not easily detected. I used a rust preventative paint.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Fred Zwicker #23106

John W,

You did the right thing.  I can't think of any other color except silver for the inside surface of a chrome plated bumper. 
And some bumpers need such help.

Fred

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello John Washburn. I will paint mine silver like you did. But did you use a primer 1st. Let me know what brand you used. Thanks.... John Lehman... CLC # 26365....

John L.,

That was done in 1996, so I can't be sure. But I believe I used Rustoleum paint which helps preventg rust. So far so good.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

I'm with you silver guys for the backsides of bumpers as well as bumper guards. After thoroughly cleaning any chemical residues left by the plater, I start with Gray  Self Etching Primer in a rattle can by SEM Products. When dry, I follow up with a couple of light color coats of silver that's tinted with a bit of gun metal metallic rather than real bright silver. By staying a little on the shady side it increases the shadow effect and tends to conceil any surface or color imperfections left by the plater. ( John always suspected I was a little on the shady side ....and now he knows why ! ) bb

Fred Zwicker #23106

I agree with Bruce and have always said (when painting), "If in doubt, always go a shade darker". 
Fred

Bruce and Fred,

Sorry, I am not a shady guy, going for the bright. But here in Colorado we have low humidity, life is good.

Anyway, if someone is looking at the bumper guards that close may have to chat with them.

Now if I can just figure out the hot start problem on the 53?

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille