News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado Solenoid Location

Started by Andrew, October 02, 2011, 02:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Trying to start but just clicks with brand new battery; could someone please tell me where solenoid is located so I can crack it with rubber mallet?

Appreciate your time.

Regards,

Andrew Garnett

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter, and is that smaller "cylinder" above the starter that the wires attach to.

I might suggest checking all of the wire connections before you start hammering on the defenseless starter solenoid though.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Assuming its the same as slightly later models its on the starter which is attached to the transmission bell housing on the right side of the engine. 

Are you sure its the starter solenoid that is clicking?  There are enough other relays on a Cadillac that will click as the key is turned that you can be fooled.  To be sure put it in gear and see if it sounds the same when you turn the key.  In gear the park/ neutral switch should keep the starter from trying.   If it sounds the same that way then you may have a park neutral switch issue.   Better have a foot on the brake and be ready for it to start when you do that test just in case the switch is the problem and it does try to start in gear.

Another thing that can happen is the electrical contact portion of the solenoid can get corroded.  Usually repeated attempts will eventually get enough contact that it engages the flywheel and you then hold it and often times the corrosion will sort of burn through and it will start normally for a while.  The solenoid portion is available as a separate part from the starter, I would just replace that rather than pick up a parts store rebuilt. 

Im not sure about 67 but later they had a connector on the wiring harness that went to the starter.  More than one time 'starter' issues turned out to be corrosion or damage to that connector.  Damage happens from when someone replaced the starter but did not get everything back correctly and it get melted by the exhaust.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

If your battery cables are old, I would replace them too.
Roy