News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 CDV radiator reinstall

Started by dudley peters #25677, October 03, 2011, 04:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudley peters #25677

I'm about to reinstall the radiator in my 67 CDV w a/c.  My question is- what should I use, if anything, for thread sealant for the transmission cooler line connections?  and the draincock threads too?           I'm thinking that I want to be careful about what is used because I don't want any over amount of this product floating around in my trans coolant system or in my engine coolant radiator system. 
please advise as I certainly could use the suggestions.
Dudley
Dudley Peters

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dudley,
The transmission cooler lines seal (at the radiator) on the steel flares, and the threaded flare nuts just hold the fitting tight.  There is no reason for any type of thread sealer, assuming the tubing and the fittings in the radiator are undamaged and correct. 
I personally have not used any thread sealer on the petcock (drain) threads, and never had a leak there.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

dudley peters #25677

Greg,
I have cleaned and inspected the threads and they look good.   I'm going with them and no sealer or thread compound.   thank you for the expert guidance.

Dudley
Dudley Peters

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dudley,
Be sure and check the mating surfaces of the transmission cooler lines and fittings.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-