News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

edelbrock carb for 61 cadillac....

Started by 61deville, October 03, 2011, 05:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61deville

Hi all,

My stock carb on a 61 deville has left me on the side of the road three times.  I would appreciate any advice about experience with an edelbrock, or other after market carb for a 390 v8.

Arthur
Raleigh, NC

Dave Shepherd

I would ask what is the root cause of this, I never had this happen where I could not fix the problem. Is it an afb or a rochester 4gc?

Dan LeBlanc

I am a 61 owner also and have a Carter AFB on mine. I previously owned a 62 with the Rochester. Both carbs have been very reliable. While the Edelbrock will bolt directly on the manifold and the throttle linkage will work, that's as far as the easy goes. Your stock air cleaner will not work - the hole is too large.  The Edelbrock also means you'll have to fabricate a linkage for the TV rod. If you're also running a Rochester, you'll either need to find a Carter stainless steel shim for under the carb or block off the exhaust crossover. Over time, he exhaust gases will ruin the Edelbrock.

I was quoted $425 to restore (not just rebuild) my Carter and convert it to electric choke. That's roughly $50 more than what an Edelbrock goes for here. It's a small price to pay for something that was designed for the car, eliminates the need for finding an air cleaner that fits, and is bolt on and go. With a proper restoration it should be good for another fifty years.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

GBrown #8092

Have to agree with the other posters. Have to have the steel shim, stock air cleaner won't work,  trans switch pitch switch doesn't work. However, I have had a Holley (same thing) on my '65 since '90, other than running rich ( I should have re jetted it, I just haven't), it works well.  Love the electric choke

It was put on by the body shop that was working on the car, when the newly rebuilt Carter AFB started leaking profusely. I just never have bothered to take it off. Next year.

My other '65 has the Rochester, seems to run just fine.