News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 cadillac de ville brake fluid

Started by 1969cadillac, October 05, 2011, 04:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello - should i used dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid in this old car ?

thanks, Murray Mules

62droptop

dot 3 fluid should be  what it calls for

most of my old british calls for dot 4
if i remember the dot 4 was a low moisture absorbing formula

here is difference found online

DOT 3
As the most common type of brake fluid, DOT 3 has a dry/wet boiling point of 401/284 degrees Fahrenheit. DOT 3 must be used from a capped container to keep out moisture, absorbable by the fluid (hygroscopic). Also a solvent, DOT 3 can hurt your car's paint should it get on its surfaces.

DOT 4
DOT 4 has a dry/wet boiling point of 446/311 degrees Fahrenheit. It is made with borate esters to defend your car's brake system from the acids that come from the fluid/moisture mixture. DOT 4 costs more than (but can mix with) DOT 3. However, manufacturers advise flushing one before filling your car's brake system with the other