News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for advice on buying first Cadillac convertible

Started by ddietze, October 11, 2011, 10:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddietze

I'm new to the game but want to buy an older Cadillac convertible.  I want suggestions on model and year.  I saw a 1969 Coupe Deville (I think if was a Coupe Deville)  and loved the lines.   Again not sure best year but from what I can see online the 1966 - to early 70s  is what I'm looking for.  I'm also trying to spend under $15k  and wondering if thats's possible for a decent car?

I'm looking for advice on which model and year I should go with as well as the best way to find the car. 
Thanks

R Sotardi #11719

Your likes and desires may differ from others. So I will give my humble opinion. For $15K  A convertible that you buy will probably need some work and I presume you prefer the 69 style, so here goes. Any 68 -72s are good cars and somewhat under valued. 1971 & 72 have lower octane requirement due to lower compression for low lead gas of that era. 68-70s need real high test. Look for rust in areas behind front wheel wells and around the rear  fender wells. The 472 was a great engine, as was the 500ci. Not so much, the 429s 64-67(  & 390 of 63) . I'll catch it on that! Any 49 -55 were great also, but probably too much dough. Watch for electric glitchs and dash cracks. I recommend you join the Cadillac -La Salle Club and a local chapter. Inquire from members, any cars for sale and their expertise.  If you can find it, Richard Langworths Cadillac buyers guide. Ron

C.R. Patton II

Hello

It's fantastic that you have chosen the Standard of the World as the brand for your next purchase. We welcome all questions because we are here to facilitate your driving experience. Ron has done a great job sharing vital engine and financial data on post war vehicles. I must also provide you with the oppportunity to select Harley Earls' pride and joy, the LaSalle. These prewar jewels were manufactured from 1927 to 1940. This extends beyond your initial scope but reveal the difference between a lady and a woman. Please search our photo gallery for beautiful examples. A lady always ages gracefully.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

76eldo

D,

You are in a good position to take advantage of a down market.  I have been collecting and working on Cadillacs for over 30 years.  There are some bargains out there, and I would like to give you some suggestions, but I don't want to come off like a know-it-all in doing so.

First, you really need to decide what car you want.  If you want a 69 or 70 DeVille Convertible in excellent condition, you may not have an easy time finding one, but if you want to consider an Eldorado convertible, for $15,000 you can buy a really nice one.

The mechanical condition of the car is important, but I feel that the two most expensive parts to deal with are the body and the interior.  Late 60's and 70's Cadillacs are very prone to rust in the lower front fenders, the rear quarter panels, and the leading edges of the hood and trunk.  If you fine a car that you really like, you must have an expert look it over to make sure that it's not a patched up rust bucket with some shiny red paint.

You didn't mention how much you know about cars in general, or your age.  If you grew up with these cars and are in your 50's, you probably know what points and a condensor are.  If this is your first time purchasing any type of collector car, have it checked out thoroughly to make sure it's in good condition, safe, and has the correct engine and accessories under the hood.

Most Cadillacs have leather interiors, and ripped seats, open seams, cracked door panels or cracked dash pads are expensive items to fix and replace. 

There are many options available to you, and I would start by going to eBay and do a search on the years you are interested in.  I am not recommending an ebay purchase, but some ebay window shopping to get an idea of what's out there and what you like.

Here's a sample search that yielded 94 cars:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_mqf=0&_qfkw=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m273&_myi=1969-78&_fpos=19006-2021&_lsbx=0&_fspt=0&_flso=0&Make=Cadillac

I went to ebay, selected motors, Cadillac, them model year 1969-78, and here are a bunch of cars to look at.

If you find something, you may be able to have a fellow CLC member look at it for you for free or for a nominal fee if it's far away. 

Another great resource is http://www.hemmings.com

Hemmings Motor News has been around since the 50's and is the leading written source of cars for sale, and you can use their website to search.

If you are a recent CLC member, you will start to receive the Self Starter, a monthly periodical from the National Cadillac Club.  There are always a good number of high quality cars for sale each month.  If you join the local region, there may be some cars up for sale that never get advertised.

One more thing, if you find that your $15,000 limit isn't adequate, consider a line of credit from your bank.  Take it from me, spending $20,000 or $25,000 on a well restored or mint original car is a much better value than buying a shiny red $10,000 convertible that ends up needing a lot of work.

Good luck in your hunt.  Remember, it's supposed to be fun!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Chris Conklin

I will mirror all that was stated above and add some thoughts;

• Do not be in a hurry. You could spend a year finding the right car.
  • Research the car to death. Go so far as to buy the shop guide and/or Authenticity Manual for the year/model you're interested in before you've even purchased it.
  • Have the car inspected. You may even want to have an inspector for a car that is near you if you're not comfortable with your knowledge of the year/model.
  • Research the car to death.  ;)
  • Definitely join the CLC. Members like Brian will tell you they don't want to come off as "know-it-alls", but I've read many of his posts and advice. He, like the majority of folks on this board, ARE resident experts and they are very willing to impart their knowledge. Take advantage of these people. I did just that for over a year before purchasing my Eldorado (and still do).
  • And to repeat the most oft repeated adage of the collector car hobby; Buy the most car you can for your money so you can enjoy driving it and not be saddled working on it. This is probably the most often ignored adage as well. And consider your mechanical aptitude vs. your check book. Especially with a convertible vehicle
  • As Brian stated, it's supposed to be fun. For me, the thrill of the chase was just as much fun as the catch.
  • You can likely find a "decent" vehicle for $15K. But the definition of decent is the question. If you are truly new to the game, to make it fun and enjoyable, you probably want a vehicle that is a little more than decent condition.
Best of luck in your search, keep us posted here!
Chris Conklin

m schantz

1. Go to www.motorera.com It has graphic displays of all the classic Cadillac models to research the year and models.
2. Besides Hemings, Oldride.com has many Cadillacs listed and occasionally some good ones on classic autotrader.com
3. Whatever you do , never purchase a car without a complete mechanical inspection, or appraisal or both. Mechanical defects and body filler can be masked over by disreputable dealers. It could save you thousands of dollars, head aches and heart aches.
Take your time and decide what you relaly wnat; then be persistent in finding it.
Good luck,
Michael

marty55cdv

D, all the advice so far is excellent, Chris Conklin's advice of not hurrying is the maybe the most important . Try to look at as many different years in person as you can. Pictures, make all of them look awesome, but when the car is right in front of you it is a whole different feeling. I am sure you can find a car for 15,000. I just spent about 4 months looking for a convertible myself . There are a few scams out there so be careful. I started looking for a 70's then decided on mid sixties after seeing a few in person.  And found mine on Craigslist. I spent more than I planned, but only by a couple thousand and the car was worth it. You should also consider why are you buying the car. Just to enjoy or maybe enter in a future Grand National or other type of judging type shows, where authenticity and originality are important.     
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: R Sotardi #11719 on October 11, 2011, 01:27:59 PM
If you can find it, Richard Langworths Cadillac buyers guide. Ron

Great info so far in the thread.  However, IMHO, the Langworth is great for 60 and earlier cars, but he somewhat slams the 60's and later cars, most getting 1 star.  Not surprising since the book was written a long time ago and probably 60's and 70's were not that collectible when he wrote the book.  Many are probably saying similar things now about cars from the 90's, so all relative  ;D
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Greg Powers

I think you have chosen a great time to look for a convertible. The closer to winter and winter storage time often the more flexible pricing becomes. In terms of convertibles, the 1970 is your last Coupe DeVille rear-drive convertible. In 1971 the only convertible is the Fleetwood Eldorado front-wheel-drive convertible and the convertible top mechanics change to the "scissor-top" style. In your price range probably the best years would be 1967-68 (vertical headlights) or the 1969-70 (horizontal headlights). As a good friend once told me, buy the best you can buy with the money you have and you'll always come out ahead of the game.  A fixer-upper can quickly become a money pit. Good Luck.   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Greg Powers

I just noticed a 1965 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible for sale on the Buy/Sell section of this forum. You might want to check it out. Seems to be in your price range. - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!