News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

fender skirts won't cinch up tight

Started by Hankk17, October 11, 2011, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

so on my '72 eldorado the fender skirt on the driver's side won't cinch up tight when I try to put them on.  I've also noticed that the body above the wheel well seems like it's bowing out a bit.  I took a look underneath and it seems like the rear body bolts have failed.  one on the passenger side is just floating and the one on the drivers' side has rotted and is starting to bend upwards.. so I'm thinking the whole rear is twisting now and it's showing up by misaligning the skirt itself.

Anyone know the best way to attack this?  I'm thinking I'll jack up the body carefully and then pop-riveting some new sheet metal around where the rot is to give the body bolt a new place to support the body again..  I'll try to post some pictures later if I can get to it.
Wherever you go... There you are

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The skirts on your car "cinch" on the (inward turned) lip of the fender and the "upper" end of the closure rod.  If either of these are either damaged or rusted away, or the pivot of the rod on the skirt itself is not un damaged, the skirt will not close tightly.
There is also adjustments at the fore and aft attachment brackets at the lower corners of the skirt which adjust the skirt's orientation into the fender opening.  All this has to be correct for the skirt to close and line up.
Send us a few opictures and we can perhaps offer some suggestions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Hankk17

yeah pictures are going to help immensely here.  I'll see what I can do tonight.  Thanks!
Wherever you go... There you are