News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Bumper Question

Started by Ed Eckhart #12747, October 11, 2011, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Eckhart #12747

My recently restored 1957 Series 62 Convertible was missing several rubber parts in the hood area which I have now installed. While doing this, I noticed 10  round holes 1/4" in size in the top of the chrome front bumper immediately under the area where the front of the hood contacts the front bumper with round rubber bumpers attached to the hood. They appear to be the type of holes sometimes used for a seal. (Picture attached) I contacted Robert Barros at Rubber the Right Way, and he was not familiar with what these holes were for, but he agreed that holes usually are not drilled for no reason. If anyone knows what these holes are for or has a 57 and could check to see what, if anything, is there I would appreciate it.

Quentin Hall

G'day Ed , The holes are there for the screws attaching a clip that locates the anodised grill and stops it moving. I'll see if I can get into my 57 tomorrow to take a pic. If you are missing them they are pretty simple and could be made up or found on ebay. Regards, Quentin.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Ed Eckhart #12747

Thanks so much, Quentin. I will look forward to seeing a picture.

Walter Youshock

These are an "L" shaped clip that hooked on the top ribs of the grille.  I'm pretty sure they were used only on '57's and possibly only on Cadillacs.  I've looked for them with Buick & Olds dealers and they say they never saw them.  The clips that grab onto the grill slats seem to break first.

The screws were also an oversized Phillips head that seemed to be a special fastener.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham