News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Broken Head Bolts 346 engine

Started by gary griffin, October 12, 2011, 03:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Hi,   my shop was remvoing an after market oil filter bracket and snapped off two head bolts. What size,and grade are they  and what thread count do they have? I assume they are ASME threads?

This will slow down mt resoration a few days I assume.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TMoore - NTCLC

If you can get the old ones out, then you can order the correct ones here:

Terrill Machine, Inc in  DeLeon, Texas. (254) 893-2610 (no website)

I honestly think that if you removed two of the bolts that were in sequence, you might want to consider taking the head off and replacing the gasket.  I don't really know if the seal will remain intact, but, I am not a pro, so you probably know better than I do if you have a chance for a leak at this section of the head.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Classic

My favorite method for removing broken head bolts is EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining).  Others will have their favorite methods.  Any machine shop that does a lot of engine work will have an EDM machine (or at least know where there is one.)  Google EDM for a description of the EDM process.  You will need to remove the head regardless of extraction method, so order a new gasket and all new head bolts from Terrill Machine.  Ez-Outs typically don't work and often break off compounding the problem, so I'd avoid them.
Gene Menne
CLC #474