News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New installed turnsignal lights question - 1937 Cadillac

Started by Stinson, October 13, 2011, 01:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello,
I have had a set of turn signal lights installed below my headlights, and the small round red reflector converted into turn siglals on the rear taillights.

The turn signal device attached to the steering column has a small green light on the end of the arm/

Front and rear, left and right turnsignals work fine and the light on the end of the turnsignal device flashes corectly. However, this green light is always lit, then flashing when needed to indicate turning signals functioning.

I noticed that when running above idle the light begins to flash even in the neutral position althought the turnsignal lights are not because the lever has not been placed to do so.

When in park position the taillights are lit and the headlights are off. When in Drive position headlights and taillights all lit. When in City the City light is not lit (Drive is lit) and only the passenger side headlight and all tailights are lit, although low and high beams work.

What a mess.

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

harvey b

Hi Ty,Sounds like you have a couple of misplaced wires on your headlite switch,they can be hard to figure where the wires go?,do you have a copy of the wiring diagram,if not i have one i can fax you.as for the signal lites,where are you getting your power from,it sounds like it is connected to the voltage regulator and is only getting "bursts" of electricity? from it,on my car i ran a wire from the cigar lighter,i dont have the lighter in my car hooked up,the wire is used for the signals,i also have a copy of the installation papers for the harness from YNZ,but it isnt very technical,you also have to be careful where you pull the switch out,it will move a bit back and forth so you may not be in the setting you think it is?.also chec your grounds for the signal switch,it may be not have a proper ground and is shorting through one of the lites?,HTH Harvey b

Harvey Bowness
Frenchfort PEI
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

sorry to hear your wiring is all over the place Ty. the pre war American
way of wiring up for City, Drive AND Pass always amazes me, when building my looms here I always bypass this and wire the car more conventionally. you don't say if you connected your new loom up yourself or your restorer did it? you need to take it back if he did it, as Harvey states it must be mainly some wrong connections on the light switch or maybe down on the dip switch.  I love working with wiring but I can understand its daunting for some.
Your indicator problem could be a faulty light on the stick switch, sounds like the bulb is getting constant power from within, that too could be wiring but as it is obviously an after market thing and a lot of these are made in China, the quality can be suspect.  BTW  You converted your little red Jewels on the rear into turn signals? so tiny, is that allowed in the US? we could never get away with that in the UK even on an historic car.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harvey b

Hi Ty, as steve stated,check out the dimmer switch,it should have 3 terminals on it,it can be wired wrong very easy,the main power wire has to be in the right terminal,the other 2 dont matter,if the power wire is wrong it will give the symptoms you have,remove the switch and find out which one is the power one,so when the plunger is pressed the power goes from one side to the other,all the switch does is move the current from one set of wires to the other,I had forgotten that my car did this 4 years ago when it was first restored. HTH Harvey b

Harvey Bowness
Frenchfort PEI
Harvey Bowness

Stinson

Many thanks Steve and Harvey. I will try to sort this out as you suggest, and let you know how it works out.
Ty
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330