News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Windshield wipers

Started by Len Sholes, October 16, 2011, 02:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len Sholes

I am wondering if anyone has any information on the windshield wiper drive. A friend of mine asked me to look at his car as his wipers quite operating. I found that the wiper motor was operating correctly but the linkages on the inside of the car were not. I removed the wiper motor and found that the drive connected to the shaft that goes through the firewall was disconnected. Upon dismantling it I can find nothing that would lock the drive to the shaft. Is it just a interference fit between the drive and the shaft. It feels like there is a very small grove at the end of the splines on the shaft but I do not think that they make a snap ring or retainer that thin. There is no information in the service manual on this that I can find. I am thinking the way to repair it would be to drill and tap the adapter that pushes on the shaft and install a set screw. Thanks.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Off a 49.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Which style do you have ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Len Sholes

Hello Jeff, Re the pictures you have posted asking me which one do I have. On this car there is nothing that appears like either one. What I did was remove the vacuum wiper motor and on the drive of it there is a paddle like piece. On the engine side of the shaft that goes through the firewall is a another paddle like piece. A male and female set up. On the passanger side of the shaft that goes through the fire wall is the mechanism that has the cables on it which in turn go out to each wiper assembly. The shaft that protrudes into the engine compartment there are splines on it and there is also a very thin flat washer that fits between the mounting bracket and the drive paddle assembly. I am trying to find out how this drive is held onto the shaft that goes through the firewall. I think what I am going to do is to drill and tap the drive piece and install a set screw that will tighten down on the splines of the shaft. Thanks for your reply.

Richardonly

Hello Len,

I just installed my wiper motor on my 48 Fleetwood yesterday. (Oct,20, 2011), so I am familiar with the "paddle" like pieces you are refering to.
Try removing the wiper arms and see what happens when it is turned on.  At 1st, mine did not work as the blades were in the wrong location.  If they do work, shut them off so they return to the park position, and reattach the arms.  If nothing happens I would try making a male piece to insert into the firewall and see if it is bound up.  If it is free, them perhaps the motor is weak or loss of suction from the engine.

You are correct in stating that there is no, or little info on the wiper motor and assembly.  I believe 1948 was the only year with this setup.

Richardonly@verizon.net

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle