News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Body to Frame Mounting Bolts (kit?)

Started by Garrett Brown, October 17, 2011, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Brown

Hi, I'm getting ready to bolt my body to the frame, and I was wondering if there were any kits out there that included all the nuts and bolts? I had to torch a couple off, and a few of the cage nuts got destroyed as well back when I first took the body off. I know Steele Rubber sells all the rubber mounts, but is there any place (or anyone) who sells the fasteners? Any help would be awesome, thanks!
-Garrett Brown

1942 6269, Series 62 Sedan
    -Rocker panels needed!

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a handful + from a 49 if they are the same ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Garrett Brown

-Garrett Brown

-Rocker panels needed!

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Garrett Brown

Hey that looks familiar! I don't suppose you'd divulge how many you have, and if you'd be willing to part with them, would you?
-Garrett Brown

-Rocker panels needed!

kkarrer

Garrett,
    I'm working on a 41 coupe and was wondering if you or anyone else out there could tell me about the locations of the body pads as the sit on the frame.  Some of mine were gone.  As I'm ordering them I want to get the right types, but also be sure as to their locations on the frame.  Most were just round pads but some had a neck on them that went through the frame.
Thanks,
Ken 41  6227D coupe

Garrett Brown

Actually I can! At least for a '42, hopefully they weren't too different. I have them drawn/written down, let me find that paper and scan it for you.
-Garrett Brown

-Rocker panels needed!

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The most important thing on getting these pads right is the fact that the first one does not have a thick rubber pad but only a thin anti-squeak pad.  You learn things like this by making mistakes.  What I have done now when removing these is make a map of the frame and number each bolt location.  Put the bolt, washers, and rubber pads in a plastic bag along with the number.  Later when the time comes clean up the parts and replace as necessary.  Another point, special thin lock washers are used since these bolts are barely tighten.  From memory it is only about 10 ft-lbs.  The comments on tightness and lock washers does not apply to convertibles.  They use regular lock washers and they are much tighter. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jeff Maltby 4194

These are the oem washers/body bolts off a 49 sedan.

Garrett. Send me you shipping address and I'll post you the 12 bolts Monday :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Garrett Brown

Here's what my dad jotted down a few years ago when we first gently tugged the body off the frame. If you can't see the image, let me know and I'll try to fix it when I get back from work tomorrow.

-Garrett Brown

-Rocker panels needed!

markl

Garrett,
This sketch is most helpful.  It does leave me asking; "Where was your Dad when I took mine apart?"  Anyhow, that ship has sailed, and I'll have to live w/ a much less definitive sketch that I attempted while removing the body on my 37 sedan.

One question; you mention Steele having the mounting pads, and I wonder if that includes the forward ones that your Dad noted as "Tar Paper".  I too recall that these were very thin material as Brad has also noted, but I hesitate to use 30# felt at this location.  Has anyone come up w/ a suitable material that would be a bit more rugged than roofing felt?

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Garrett Brown

Haha ya he did a really good job. Steele does sell thin rubber pads you can use for the front mounts, or you could go to a place like Tractor Supply or Rural King. They have some fairly robust rubber in 4" wide (maybe narrower, maybe wider) sheets that's inexpensive and fairly easy to cut with a utility knife. I was planning on using this stuff stacked for all the body mounts, but I'm leaning towards buying Steele's products now.
-Garrett Brown

-Rocker panels needed!

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

For the thin material use body cushion 2"X 1/16" thick as sold by Restoration Specialties & Supply, PA and others.  It is a cloth impregnated with a tar or some such product.  It is available in all different thicknesses and widths.  If you are doing a restoration you should just order up all the catalogs from these type of suppliers.  They have all kinds of interesting stuff.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo