News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

freeze plugs

Started by 2danreed, October 17, 2011, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

Anyone know where to source engine block freeze plugs for a 1956 Cadillac 365 motor?  These would be the ones on each side of the block just above the oil pan.

Dan
Dan Reed

kkarrer

Sure.  Get in touch with the guys at Terrill Machine 254 893 2610.  They're here in Texas.  They're the best guys at what they do.

Ken Karrer 1941 6227D Coupe

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Coopers used to have them, but am not sure of their status of late. Get the brass ones!
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Bob Steur

Dorman p/n 565024 brass, 555024 steel. Rockauto.com has 'em, or try your local Autozone, O'Reilly, etc.

kkarrer

Once you get them be sure to clean the surface on the opening where they go and then use some sealant on the new plugs, but not too much.  The old Indian Head Gasket material works fine, but most of the other gasket sealants are good too.  When you pull them out, don't pry from the edge and risk scarring the sealing surface.  You can use a slide hammer like the ones used for pulling dents or just punch or drill a hole in the middle of the plug and instert a rod or driver and put a small wooden block between it and the engine block and pry away.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

2danreed

Thanks for the great info guys!  I'll keep you posted.

Dan
Dan Reed

Jay Friedman

My method of installing them is to use 2 hammers, one being a ball peen type.  I insert the plug in the hole after smearing the perimeter of the hole with the sealant mentioned in a previous post which holds it in place.  I lay the round end of the ball peen hammer against the center of the plug.  I then whack the flat end of the ball peen hammer with the second hammer.  Once is usually enough to spread the edges of the plug and lock it in place.  That's all there is to it. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."