News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 Horn Button Removal

Started by Jim Salmi #21340, October 19, 2011, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Salmi #21340

I am unable to remove the center plastic horn button.  I push down as hard as I can with palm while twisting counter clockwise, but it doesn't budge.  Does anyone have a trick?  Thanks in advance.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

cadillacman

Hello, if its like my 49 you need to push down on the button and push up on the chrome horn surround and turn it anti clockwise
hope that helps 
Chrome is my favorite color!

Dave Ventresca

Jim, the 49s I have worked on, you just press down on the button , while pulling up on the chrome horn ring, and turn either way, it should pop off.
are you any relation to the character actor Albert Salmi? he was in the Fugitive series in the 60's. Dave

Jay Friedman

I think, and I repeat, I think, that on 1951 and later cars there are small Allen set screws behind the horn ring which hold it and the horn button to the steering wheel.  These cars are different from the '42 to '50 horn buttons which are removed by turning the button counter-clockwise while holding the horn ring.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dave Ventresca

Jay, the set screw arrangement began in 56.  Dave

Jay Friedman

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I stand corrected.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jim Salmi #21340

You guys were right.  The key is keeping the horn ring in place.  I tapped lightly around the circumference of the plastic button with a rubber mallet.  Then, I used a wood shim to keep horn ring from pushing down.  With effort, I was finally able to turn it and get it off.

Dave, no I'm not related to Albert Salmi but I remember him in various roles in the '50s and '60s.  Lots of westerns like Gunsmoke, as I remember.

Thanks for the input.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan