News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67-70 Eldorado: door window trim removal

Started by Antoni Deighton, October 21, 2011, 10:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

i'm stripping the trim from my car to prep it for the paint shop, and while most of the trim is straight forward to remove, I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the chrome piece that runs along the top of the door (with the window felt on it). The middle has snap clips to hold it in place, but the ends seem to be fixed and I can't figure out how to release them. Has anyone done this? Help please! (By the way I have the Service Manual and the Fisher Body Manual, and neither are much help with this).

Also, can anyone tell me how to remove the door mirror? I think there's a screw on the leading edge of the door, but it's being a bit of a pain to remove. I don't want to strip it only to discover it attaches to something else!

Thanks in advance,

Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Rob Troxel

If yours is a 68 Eldo, You should pull the door panel to get at the mirror.  The Drivers side has the remote cable to contend with so separating that from the door panel might be required to completely remove the mirror.  The chrome trim where the window felt strips are can be a challenge.  I had to drop the window lift mechansims to the bottom of the door to get at the screws holding the window felt strips in to change those and as I recall there was more screws holding the ends of the door border chrome to the door. The screws were very rusty Let us know how you make out!

Antoni Deighton

Rob,

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure this one out. Fortunately on the '67, there's only one circular mirror on the driver's side with the remote cable to the 'joystick' in the door trim. That's pretty easy to thread through. I've figured out how to drop the window regulators, but I'm still having trouble finding the screws for the trim. They're obviously there, because I can feel the resistance when I try to loosen the trim piece. That inner door panel must be one of the most awkwardly engineered parts of the car (removing the exterior lock and handle were a real knuckle buster)!

Thanks for the help!

Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Rob Troxel

Anton,

I took pictures when I opened my doors up but I am still trying to find them.  I'll share them when I do.

Regards,

Rob

Ps  Small hands seems to be an advantage here.  Too bad I could not get my wife to do this work!!