News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Grandad's Cadillac

Started by Tn4thgen, October 23, 2011, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tn4thgen

Hey everyone. I'm new here so go easy. I have inherited my grandfathers 1978 Cadillac fleetwood Broughm D elegance. I don't know much about it. My grandmother says it runs it has a 425 engine in it. It has some good things and bad things. there is one area of the body that is rusted through I think it's called the A pillar. The interior is there but its not the best. The seat covers are average the steering wheel is rough. Everything is faded from the sun. I want to sell it but I don't know if I should try to part it out or just sell the car. I have no idea what its worth so if you guys could help me out that would be great and if any of you are interested let me know.

Antoni Deighton

I've have a 1978 Fleetwood that my family bought new. The Fleetwoods were Cadillac's top of the line sedans. The "D'Elegance" was an option/trim package including more luxurious pillow-top seats etc. They're beautiful cars. While interest in these cars seems to be increasing, they're still not very valuable. I recently heard from my mechanic of a 1978 Sedan de Ville (a mid-level sedan) in excellent condition (about 60K miles since new) that was for sale for just $800. I wanted to buy it, but space and my marriage are at a premium.
Obviously condition is important. The 425 is a good engine, based on the 472/500 block. It's pretty much bulletproof, smooth and torquey (at low revs). If the A-pillar is truly rusted through, however, then the car is probably not worth repairing. If the car has no sentimental value to you, then you're probably better off parting it out. BUT if you have the skills to disassemble it, and it has some significance to you, then you might want to try seeing what you can fix.
In any case, you should pose some photos for us all to see! Others will surely chime in with other opinions.
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

TJ Hopland

Does not sound like you have much there.  Even in great shape (which it sounds like yours is not) they dont usually sell for much.   I see that sort of thing for sale all the time in my area usually priced well under $1000.  As for parts sounds like you dont have much there either.  What usually sells and has value is things like the steering wheel, upper dash, and door panels / arm rests.  Mechanically there is some interest in the motor and transmission but if you can find someone that wants one it would only be worth a few hundred.  Most likely thing would be to sell the car complete.   If someone wanted the motor and trans they would then pull it, sell off the few remaining parts and then scrap the rest. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

I forgot to ask, are you in need of a car?   Do you have any interest in driving the thing?   Even if its a bit ugly it will still likely ride real nice.   If its had some maintenance and been driven a little the last few years it may not take much to get it or keep it in driving condition.   Maybe give it a try?   You may not think you would like it but who knows next you may be hooked and asking us for advise to restore it for find another one.   I had a 78 Deville coupe a few years ago that sounded like it was in better shape than yours but still far from a show car.   It was my daily driver for over a year.    I paid $800 for it and put about $500 into it to make it safe and reliable.  This included 2 new tires and new brake hoses.   It got me about 17mpg overall combo driving in a larger metro area and was one of the most comfortable cars I ever owned.   I quit driving it because I got a 75 Eldo for $400.  I sold it for $500 to a guy as his only car.  I know he drove it for almost 2 years, not sure what happened to it after that.  He only took it because it was all he could afford and he needed a car but the one time I talked to him he said it was the best car he had ever owned.   I quit driving the 75 Eldo in favor of a 80 Eldo. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tn4thgen

Thanks for the help guys. I am not in need of a car and the car dose not mean much to me. My grandfather died a few years ago and the car has just sat. I just need to get rid of it. If I got $500 out of it I would be happy. I think the only thing that I would ever use it for is putting the engine in a hot rod but I don't have the time to fool with it. I will run by and take some pictures of it later to post.

Hankk17

scrap's at a premium these days. that's a pretty big car - you may get $500-$600 for scrap at the junkyard alone.
Wherever you go... There you are

R Schroeder

cadillacguy03

Pictures and location please very interested in your car