News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1984 Rear Bumper Filler

Started by Ed, October 24, 2011, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Any tips on how to replace the rear bumper filler on a 1984 Eldo. Can it be done without removing the rear bumper. This is the long single piece that runs across the rear center and rests on the rear bumper. I looked at my shop manual, but they had nothing on it. I have enclosed a picture of the rear of my car. It's the filler that meets the lip of the trunk.

Any help would be deeply appreciated

Ed Nieves
CLC Member #23765
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

RobW

It's held on by studs on the rear body panel. You might be able to reach up under the bumper and remove the nuts depending on the size of your arms/hands.
Rob Wirsing

Ed

Thanks Rob are these studs reuseable? Are they all on the bottom or are there any on the sides? Sounds like a long needle nose plier will come in handy. Iv'e seen some of these studs fall off my present rear filler. Do they sell these studs?
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

RobW

The threaded studs are welded on the rear body panel. Can't remember if they're 10, 11, or 13mm nuts but a 1/4 ratchet and deep socket should work much better than pliers. The ends might have bolts or studs on the quarter panels, it's been a long time since I've taken them off. I think there is also one or two smaller screws going up into the tail lamp housing, probably 7 or 8mm.
Rob Wirsing

Ed

Thanks Rob I appreciate the insight. The good news is that I don't have to remove the rear bumper to get that item in. Will let you know how it goes. Have to get them painted and dropped in by the AACA Winter National in March and the Grand Nationals in June. 
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

RobW

Well the bumper comes off easy enough. Just four 13mm nuts on each rear shock. Assuming of course nothing is rusted/seized.
Rob Wirsing

Ed

Rob as you may know, the simple things, sometimes are just not simple (lol).
Ed Nieves
Member #23765

Ed

Rob, looked under the car today. Each side had about four nuts and that seems to holding the filler in place. Those are the originals and hopefully the nuts won't be that tough to get out.

Thanks for all your insight.
Ed Nieves
Member #23765