News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 60S - removing door latch mechanism

Started by pauldridge, October 24, 2011, 09:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauldridge

My exterior driver-side door handle just gave way a few days ago... it clearly has come loose from the mechanism inside, and just hangs straight down without any resistance.  The actual latch "bolt" has no spring to it, so just stays retracted, although the inside door handle seems to be still connected to the works.

I read a couple of other posts that mention the exterior handle can be removed by taking out the screw on the other end.

However, I find two screws... there is one screw on the interior side of the door which looks like it screws right into the end of the door handle shaft.  Then another is visible through a small hole that is only accessible when the door is open.  You can see the screw fitting move when the handle is turned.

My questions:
1) Which of the screws should I remove to withdraw the exterior door handle?

2) I've removed all the larger screws which secure the whole door latch mechanism to the door, and the mechanism is loose.  Will the whole shebang come out when I withdraw the door handle?

Any pictures would be helpful

phil@auldridge.org
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The little screw in the hole you see when you open the door is the right one to take out.  If you get it out the rest of the mechanism will fall.  The first move is to remove the door handle and then loosen all the screws that hold the mechanism to the door.  The real problem comes if you can't get that little screw out for one reason or another.  The threads are in a brass piece so it doesn't rust but occasional there are still problems.  Most likely from someone messing with it before.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Steve Passmore

Brad is absolutely right there Paul, the tiny little screw in the small hole is the one holding the handle, its a tapered headless little thing and they are available but before now I have seen where people drill and thread another in the back of the shaft if they have trouble with the thread on the little one, yours may have had that modification.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe