News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 coupe dv heater fan mystery

Started by 54cruzer, October 25, 2011, 07:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54cruzer

The fan for my heater/defroster was lost during restoration, but even if it was there there is no fan switch in the dash?
Was it a single speed fan? Did it just come on when you slid the lever to heat?  The manual says there should be a 3 speed switch, there is none, just a slider: heat, defrost, vent

I am looking for a fan assembly (however it works) it is the one that is behind the driver fender, it has ducts from the fresh air vent to the heater core.  Does anyone have one for sale??

thanks,
Kevin

54cruzer

Dan LeBlanc

Now you've got me wondering. I don't own a 58 but I googled some pictures of 58 dashes this afternoon and I didn't see any fan switches. Someone with a 58 please share.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roger Zimmermann

There is no fan switch. The blower is put in motion with the heater lever or the vent/defroster lever.

I have one heater motor in stock, but I'm located in Switzerland; the shipping costs may exceed the motor value!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

Are there varying speeds or is it just either on or off.

Do you need just the blower motor or the housing and all?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David King (kz78hy)

As the lever is moved across the face of the bezel, it makes 3 different switches along the way.  So the blower motor resistor on the engine compartment changes the motor speed to create 3 speeds.

This is the same for 57 and 58.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

54cruzer

So the speed varies for the settings, heat-defrost-ice?  That doesn't make sense, does it?  Seems like there should be speed settings for each? Oh well.

I need the housing and everything.

thanks

Roger Zimmermann

If you are using the defroster, the fan will turn at 3 various speeds depending where the lever is.
If you are using the heater, the same fan will be turning at the same 3 speeds as with the defroster (or vent). If both levers are pushed, the motor will not turn faster but will have the same 3 speeds!

If you don't find the motor and housing in the USA, let me know and I will put a picture of what I have: motor, its own housing and a bracket.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101