News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Antenna questions 1948

Started by amc6476, October 28, 2011, 02:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amc6476

I have a 1948 series 62 sedan with vacum antenna. My can't go all the way down as the mast is to long. Is this how the antenna shall be for a 48 car?

Tom A. Wold

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

As far as I know that is what all the vacuum antennas were like - my 1954 is like that.
Phil

Caddy Wizard

That is correct.  When in the "down" position, the 48 antenna mast still sticks up some from the fender.  Worst thing about that is that it causes problems with car covers.  Other than that, I don't see any downside to it at all.

Art Gardner
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

amc6476

Thanks for the replies :D

I'll then have "only" left too fix the vacuum function on the antenna. Since it must be the correct one for the car.
I do agree that it makes it a little more difficult with car cover.

Tom A. Wold

Jeff Hansen

FWIW on the car cover issue, I cut a small hole in an old tennis ball and slip that over the top of the antenna mast before I put my car cover on.  It definitely saves wear and tear on the cover.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Richardonly

My 1948 Fleetwood does NOT go all the way down either.  It stays up about 9 inches to a foot.  ( Just a rough estimate.)
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle