News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

91 Brougham bucking/backfireing

Started by JerRita, October 28, 2011, 09:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

Hi y'all I have a 91 Brougham w/ 5.7 It started bucking/backfireing out of nowhere It sounds like pre-ignition After it satlls if I let it sit for an hour it starts and runs great again? There is no warning and no service engine light Of course the mechanic cannot reproduce the problem any ideas out there? thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

TJ Hopland

Things I have had cause that sort of symptoms on similar engines:

Distributor loose,  just grab it and see if you can rotate it like in the old days to time it.

EGR valve sticking.   Sort of an expensive part to just try but that did happen on my 93 Rodamaster when it had about 200K miles on it.

Impending doom related to the fuel pump which is in tank on this model.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

62droptop

plugging up fuel filter could do it,plugs up solid, stalls engine, let sit for a while the sediments retreats a bit, start her up and repeat cycle
cheap place to start as the fuel filter is ofter overlooked and never changed
that is the other main cause of in tank pump failures  as pump has to work like hell to push fuel
other cause is always running low on fuel as the fuel submersion  cools the pump and if the pump is always out of the level of fuel it overheats and croaks
that or an ignition module heating up and faulting

when engine dies ,quickly do a spark check before it cools down, that way you have a direction to go on to see of it is fuel or spark related
i always like to check the simple maintenance items first

i cant see a mechanical fault being the culprit as it clears itself up again after a cool down
mechanical not  as likely clear itself up