News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum Line Diagram 1966 Cadillac Deville

Started by aarettler, October 30, 2011, 11:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarettler

Looking for a vacuum line diagram for my 1966 Cadillac Deville.  In the process of restoring the Heating/AC system and need to educate myself on the workings of this system.  I have replaced the Control Unit and and the Hot Water Valve.  The Blower has been tested but only works intermittently.  I suspect the problem is with the vacuum lines but I don't have enough experience or knowledge in this area.

Adam Rettler

cadillactim

Adam

I have an easy to understand troubleshooting manual for the 66 Climate Control.  Covers how the system works, how to test each part, and how to troubleshoot the system.  Includes vacuum and wiring diagrams.  It doesn't cover basic a/c components, but all the parts that make the automatic system work.  If you are interested you can email me directly at tagroves@wctel.net or call me during business hours at 864-352-3306 (eastern time zone).  Tim
Tim Groves

Antoni Deighton

I recommend Tim's manual! I wish there were other similarly comprehensive manuals for other parts of the car.
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Adam,
It seems you are on the right track.  I almost always find the source of any intermittant problems on my '66 caused by either cracked and leaking hoses, or poor hose connections int the "miles" of vacuum lines on these cars.  I would most enthusiastically recommend the factory service manual (reprints of the original are available) for its diagrams, trouble shooting matrix's, and the full description of how each and every component works (or is supposed to work), and how to determine if those components are not working correctly. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillactim

The lack of help the shop manual gives the average person is why I wrote these manuals.  The shop manual always uses a "tester" that 99% of people do not have.  The shop manual is written for technicians with special tools. Nor do the manuals address real world issues that develop with these systems over time.  A real common problem with the 1966 Climate Control system is never addressed in the shop manual since the car is still new!  After a few thousand miles this part causes many headaches. It would be hard to find this problem using the shop manual.  And 1966 was only the third year of Climate Control systems. No long term problems had beed discovered yet!

Shop manuals are definately worth having for technical info, but I personally don't recommend them for troubleshooting the Climate Control unless you are a seasoned mechanic.
Tim Groves

marty55cdv

Adam, Greg is right it is nice to have a manual but Tim is very correct in saying his manual will be of more help. I just repaired (last month), my 64 Eldo climate control with his manual. I went from no fan no AC no heat to everything working as it should. He also provided me with a part I knew I needed before I started, and it was a very nice used piece for a very reasonable price.
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Adam,
The factory service manual (especially in 1966) was written so that the average shop mechanic could successfully diagnose AC issues.  There are matrices and step by step diagnosis procedures for finding the problems.  There are essentially four separate and individual "systems" in your '67s air conditioning.
1. The air delivery system, including the fan and the ducts and dampers. 2. The heating system consisting of the heater core, the hot water valve, and the interconnecting hoses.  3. The coolling/dehumidification system consisting of the compressor and all the refrigeration components. 4 The control system which "ties" the first three systems together to perform as desired.  The service manual will help you decide exactly which system(s) are the source of your problems and suggest corrections.
There are specialty tools required for diagnosis of the refrigeration system, and they did in fact develop an electrical "control system simulator" to "bypass" the control system and help diagnose the other three systems, but although I am in the process of making my own "simulator", just out of curiosity, I have been
sucessfully diagnosing and correcting this era AC systems for a couple of decades without ever using one.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

brit

As a newbie on here and a 66 Calais owner in England I would love a vacuum diagram if any has one please , mine leaks from everywhere lol

rajeevx7

Should be enough to thoroughly confuse u ;) GL!

RobertU88

Tim, does your manual work for a 65 Fleetwood Sixty Special as well? Thanks!
Robert
1965 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillacmike68

^^ It does. Same system in Fleetwood 60 Special series. Fleetwood 75s have an additional rear system, but not the 60S.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

The power lock system, if so equipped is covered in the Fisher body manual.  The power locks are vacuum if so equipped, not electric.  This is often a major source of a leak in the vacuum systems of these mid 1960 Cadillacs up thru 1968.  The trunk release is also vacuum if so equipped.  These systems are not covered in the Cadillac shop manual, which is well written.  However, Tim's book makes it even easier.  The Fisher body manual is not well done unfortunately.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bagged 66

Tim are you still selling your manuals? Just bought a ‘66 and could use one for sure!!

chrisntam

Quote from: Bagged 66 on February 19, 2020, 09:38:38 AM
Tim are you still selling your manuals? Just bought a ‘66 and could use one for sure!!

Send him a PM.  Click on his name, you'll see the link there.

I have his manual for my '70, I highly recommend it.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Quote from: cadillactim on November 01, 2011, 07:01:12 PM
The lack of help the shop manual gives the average person is why I wrote these manuals.  The shop manual always uses a "tester" that 99% of people do not have.  The shop manual is written for technicians with special tools. Nor do the manuals address real world issues that develop with these systems over time.  A real common problem with the 1966 Climate Control system is never addressed in the shop manual since the car is still new!  After a few thousand miles this part causes many headaches. It would be hard to find this problem using the shop manual.  And 1966 was only the third year of Climate Control systems. No long term problems had beed discovered yet!

Shop manuals are definately worth having for technical info, but I personally don't recommend them for troubleshooting the Climate Control unless you are a seasoned mechanic.

Hi Tim, Are you referring to warped rotary valves in the power servo?  If no, then what other "secret problem"?

By the way folks, I highly recommend Tim's books for your year(s) as well. They have helped me tremendously.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Morgan Murphy

Tim's manual is worth its weight in gold.  Easy to follow and troubleshoot with it in hand!
"If the man wants to buy a Cadillac, let the man buy a Cadillac."
J.M. Murphy, 1959