News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Transmission leakage

Started by kib, November 05, 2011, 03:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kib

I have replaced the gasket on my 59 transmission but it still leaking oil from it, added also some blue silicon after the first attempt whitouth, still leaks oil. Any godd suggestions how to handle such leaking problems?

T.Kibsgaard

sly37

Look at the bolt holes on the pan. They need to be flat. If they aren't you can tap them flat with a light flat hammer. Common oversight I've missed it myself in the past. Also, those bolts only require around 6 inch pound of torque.

Dan LeBlanc

I used the high modulus silicone from Ford that seals the rear differential cover on the newer F-150's.  It's designed specifically for that sort of environment.  I put it on the transmission side, let it skin for about 10 minutes, put the pan on just finger tight, waited 24 hours, then tightened up the pan once the silicone cured to complete the seal.

So far, so good.  God forbid I'd ever had to drop the pan though.  I had to use a putty knife and a hammer to open the rear differential on my truck.  It sticks like nobody's business.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

Never use any Silicon product to seal any Auto Transmission Pan, or any other part of an Auto Transmission.

Only use Vaseline, and the correct gaskets.

The reason is that if any of the Silicone gets into the internals of the Trans, it won't last long.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

kib

I guess you´r right about the silicon, but the Transmission pan with new gasket was still leaking after replacement and I guess a new pan it's like looking for a noodle in a haystack  :-\

T.Kibsgaard

Dan LeBlanc

There are some new cars today that have a high-modulus flange application silicone as OE spec for the pan gasket - Subaru and Honda are two I know of for sure.  It can't be all that bad.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quintin Kuiper

See your dipstick tube ,oil comes out thru o-ring (dip-stick) ,(oil is rising till have of pipe when car is parked),then leaks too the outside of your pan gasket .Groove from oil-ring coud be too wide tap down the steel bushing till it stops on the oil ring then put back the dip-stick tube,it will need more force too put it in the transmission this means that the o-ring is expanding now the correct way..When replacing the pan gasket put it in the transmission-oil before installing..I hope i did find the noodle in the haystack.I hope this advice can save you 5 gaskets and 3 transmission swaps like i had.  Greetings from The Netherlands

kib

Ok for sure I will check this, because the position of the oil spill is forward on the right side thanks so much!

T.Kibsgaard

kib

The advise to check the O ring was a perfect suggestion, the O ring was not there! so if other have the same problem they might check this solution. Many thanks to Quintin Kuiper  :)

T.Kibsgaard

Walter Youshock

All Cadillacs leak.  They stop when they're empty.

I was told that by an old mechanic when I had my '82 Fleetwood Brougham dÉlegance.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham