News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Messed up horn 1949

Started by Steve Miller, November 02, 2011, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Miller

Pulled the steering wheel off to replace using a generic steering wheel puller. Didn't notice that the puller ID was a little too small, now the little horn button is mashed in and I can't pry it back out, horn's on all the time. Is there a way to get to it from below to push it up or am I screwed?
Thanks
If it ain't six volt, I'm probably not interested.

49 Convertible

If you are talking about the 1/4 inch bakolite piece it is attached to a wire that runs thru the center of the column and is soldered to the steeling shaft at the opening (under the hood) where the horn wire attaches to go to the horns.  You will have to remove the wire (it just pushes on to the terminal) take out the 2 screws that hold the plate onto the column, remove the plate and turn the steering wheel until you see the soldered wire, unsolder it and pull the wire up thru the column at the steering wheel, make a new bakolite ring for the top of the wire to hold it away from the column string wire thru it and back down the tube and resolder.   THIS IS NOT AN EASY JOB but the only way to do it (I think)

herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Steve Miller

It is about 1/4" diameter but looks more a like a piece of brass than bakelite, I can get a screwdriver under it to pry it up a little, but it won't come any further.
Thanks

49 Convertible

THe piece that you are talking about is the brass fitting that the wire is soldered to, under this was the bakelite piece otherwise the wire would ground to the steel steering shaft and continuously honk the horn.  The reason it wont come out is that it is soldered to the wire.  When you push the horn ring it makes contact with the wire and the steering wheel and completes the circuit.
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Steve Miller

I wonder if I could use a soldering iron to un-solder the brass piece at the wheel, then put a plastic or equivalent washer underneath the brass piece and resolder it to the wire?
Thanks

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Steve,

That is the way I did it on my 56 Cad.

Good luck

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Steve Miller

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on November 06, 2011, 04:06:23 PM
Steve,

That is the way I did it on my 56 Cad.

Good luck

John W

May I ask what you used for a washer, and where you found it?
Thanks

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Steve,

Tough question. Perhaps a swap meet, carburetor gasket set, or more likely from stuff off a generator or starter kit.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series