News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Found out that my 57 Biarritz comes with a little bit of History

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, November 02, 2011, 08:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
I   found out that my car has a little bit of history , The former owner had the car converted to run on Ethanal 85 . It had a nice send off in Washington DC . I have included the article in a linc.

http://www.ethanolacrossamerica.net/pressreleases/pressrelease16.html

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Does it still run on pump gas now? Has it been converted back?

What changes were made and how well did it run on E85?

Before long, we may all be forced to ask these questions.

62droptop

cool, you car was a star in its past life
really nice looking car

did they happen to make note of the mileage it got using the e85 during the cross country trips

Dave Shepherd

Wow, this is a somewhat complex project as all the rubber  fuel lines must be changed, the carb and fuel pump internals redone and a complete rejetting, E85 is very corrosive and can affect the fuel tank also.  The only plus I see here is is has 100 octane, other than that in an old car I can see problems here.

Bill Balkie 24172

Yes it was Dave ,
    From what i understand the fuel tank was special and it was  in the trunk at the time of cross country trip . It also had modified Carbs and fuel lines . It was converted back to a standard setup after the cross country trip . the car now runs on the original fuel tank and the 2X4 carbs . I feel very fortunate to own this car , not so much because of the E85 trip , but because it is a great classic Cadillac that I wanted since i was 7 years old . I can remember seeing my first eldorado Convertible ( white ) running home to tell my Father that i saw a Cadillac  that had a back end that wasn't a Cadillac . He told me it had to be the Eldorado . ( and it was ). Ever since then that car was special and i never forgot that day . some things just stick with you and you never forget it . Can still not believe i own it . I would grade the car 6 out of 1 to 10 , but i have the rest of my life to work on it and enjoy it .  It doesn't get any better then that for me .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

I love that story of when you were seven, Bill. I've always loved that some of the best reactions you ever get are from young and even really young kids. . . . and the parents can be oblivious.
       Growing up in the 70s, I didn't really know anything  about Cadillacs as they weren't common here in Oz . But when I was 19 in 1985 and found a 57 sedan in the paper for $3500 that was it. I was happy as Larry until when I asked why he could sell such a beautiful car, he showed me his 57 Biarritz sitting in the other shed.  Soon as I saw that 57 Biarritz rear end I was in love. He wouldn't sell that one tho. Rest is history.
       I am skinning my knuckles on mine  today. Last bit of rust in mine is in the wiper "cave". I assume it must condensate between the double steel layer of firewall and it rusts from inside out. I was going to bog it up and fix it another day but since dash is out I started poking with a screw driver and . . . swiss cheese. Another day of my life gone . . . . .

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dave Shepherd

Yes it is a great car, over the last year I did a lot of restoration mechanical work on a very nice 57 Seville for a customer.