News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 Radio Information

Started by Tom Beaver, November 05, 2011, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Beaver

Does anyone have a copy of the circuit diagram for a Cadillac Standard Radio for 1938, which I assume is a Wells-Gardner radio, that they could share?  I am in the process of trying to re-cap the thing and have run into some parts that I can't identify.  Also I am having trouble reconciling markings on the resistors with the values measured with an ohm meter.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Beaver

Warren Rauch #4286

I don't see on the diagram I have who the maker was. It is Cadillac # 7232502. This is a 5 tube model, it says it is the 1938 Standard Model. The copy I have is from a book ( John F Rider). Is this what you need? Warren

Tom Beaver

Warren,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes that is the part number that is written on the tag inside the radio I have.  I don't know how hard it would be to copy the diagram but it sounds like it is just what I need.

Tom Beaver

bcroe

Good luck on the radio, I have some 1938 stuff here too.  Besides caps, the higher value
resistors tend to drift up, though the values aren't critical.  Does it use a 6 pin vibrator,
or a rectifier tube?  Bruce Roe

Tom Beaver

Bruce,

The color code on the resistors seems to have drifted along with the resistance, It seems red and orange are indistinguishable so I need something that gives what the values should be.  The vibrator sits in a 6 pin socket but the device itself has only 5 pins.  I don't know what that signifies but I thought I would take a run at getting the thing to work if I can.

Tom Beaver

Warren Rauch #4286

I'll send it off on monday. Warren

Tom Beaver

Warren,

Thank you very much.  I have hope now of actually getting it to work.

Tom Beaver

bcroe

If the 1938 radio is in decent mechanical shape, it certainly is possible
to get it working.  All the parts should be available, or a more modern
substitute.  A basic vibrator only needs 3 pins, but was mounted on a
standard 4 pin base.  This converts the bat DC to AC, so the transformer
can step up the voltage.  Then it must be rectified to high voltage DC. 
Some radios used a rectifier tube, others used a couple more contacts
on the vibrator to switch to the proper side of the transformer output,
at the proper time.  I know you can buy 4 pin vibrators, and electronic
equivalents that plug in.  Not so sure about the 6 pin type. 

With the polarized caps replaced, tubes removed, the vibrator should
generate some +200V to +300V to be available for the tubes.  If not,
I'd see about fixing the power section first.  One way out, is use a 4
pin vibrator (test with a spare 4 pin socket) and a couple pretty high
voltage silicon diodes.  There is likely a rather high voltage cap at the
trans output, that needs to be replaced; it limits voltage spikes. 

Bruce Roe

Tom Beaver

Bruce,
Thank you for the information and suggestions.  The radio seems to be in fairly good mechanical shape except for the speaker so I plan on working on replacing all of the capacitors and those resistors that seem to be out of bounds and see where I get to.  The vibrator may be ok, and if not, one of the people in the local car club says he has some spares so I should be in good shape there.

Thanks again.

Tom Beaver

bcroe

Good Luck, keep us informed.  I'm CLC  # 14630   bcroe@juno.com   Bruce Roe