News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

46-54??? heater control system

Started by Richardonly, November 09, 2011, 09:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardonly

Hi,
In reading the owners manual regarding the heater control, it simply states that to increase the heat temperature, lower the left of two levers on the dash.  The right lever is for the defroster, and when on, a slight movement of air can be felt near the windsheild.
OK, so on a long trip (50 minutes) I had the left heater control all the way down.  The outside temperature was approx 50 degrees.
Once again, I felt air movement near the windsheild, but no heat.  Turning off the defroster, I felt no difference in the air temperature inside the car.
I also DO NOT hear the fan blowing ( compared to modern cars) The heater hoses are in their proper place including the underseat heater lines.
It is my understanding that the control for the heat is thermostaticaly activated.
Any ideas on what may be happening and what should be checked?
How does one know if it is thermostatically controled?
This is a 1948 Fleetwood.
Thank you, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Jeff Maltby 4194

Your heater looks like this under the dash.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

R Sotardi #11719

Richard I believe that some of this was answered in a thread that you posted last week or so.  Check it out,Ron. On further observance I could not find your old thread... Where did it go? Any way, two reasons that comes to mind is that there is a blockage in the hoses or heater/defroster core, or the set screws on the levers, that are in Jeffs picture, have loosened and not opening the ranco valve. You will need to crawl under the dash and operate the levers and watch the movement.

Caddy Wizard

The fan motors should be protected by a fuse.  If the fuse is blown, the motors will not turn and the car won't get very warm at all.  On most of these old cars the fan motors are a little noisy and you can definitely tell when they are running.

Art Gardner
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Richardonly

Thank you for your kind responces.

R.Sotardi, there is a possibility of a blockage, and I am not sure what set screws you may be referring to or what a ranco valve is.  This car and it's workings are still new to me.  You are correct that I posted the same question, but reworded some of it and added the pic to show that it has no fan control. Please read below. 

Art Gardner, Where would I find the fuse?  To my knowledge, there were no fuses, in general, in a 1948.  Where would I find it on the pictures Jeff Maltby sent?  Is it somewhere else, like under the seat at the under seat heater?

Jeff Maltby, thank you for the photos.  I tried to print them from this site, but it cut them short

I suppose my question, simply put is, how do I know if a 1948 Fleetwood has a thermostatically controlled heater, which I would assume it does, as there is no fan switch that I can find. Once the fan is blowing with the car hot, that would determine if the heater core is blocked or not.  Then I would  assume that the auto control could be the problem OR  at what outside or interior temp does it come on?   Perhaps if it is cold enough, it may even work fine, but so far there has been no warmth in 50-60 degree temps.  Is this how a 1948 heater ran?

Thank you all kindly for your assistance, Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

49 Convertible

Regarding the location of the fuse...The fuse is located on the heavy lead coming from the control assembly...if you note  the the thicker wire on Jeff's bottom picture there should be a metal fuse connector (holder) clipped to the side of that assembly with a fuse in it. and the other end of the wire comes down the firewall (inside the car) near the steering column and under the carpet to the underseat heater motors. 
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Jeff Maltby 4194

49 innards-note fuse right side.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Richardonly

Gentleman,

WOW!  That was exact and precise!  I sincerely thank you for your efforts.  The worst I may have to do to reach it may be removing the glove box, which I personally believe they should have moved to the right.  However, in mine, the 1951 factory air conditioning control is in the glove box and much more accessible to adjust.

Richard

1995 Jaguar XJ6

R Sotardi #11719

The ranco valve  ( actually more of a term than brand Ranco, as I believe  GM used Harrison) is just what Jeff and Art  posted. It is the mechanism that controls the hot water entering the core. I forgot the fuse is also mounted on the side of it as stated. The operating levers go through the dash panel  and are connected to rods( one for the heater and another for the defroster) that push or pull on the valve to open or shut off the hot water flow. The fan is operated by the same rod that turns a small round switch( like an oreo cookie). The fan now blows against the core, which when the lever is pushed further down increases the temperature. It's a really complicated system comparatively. In 1950, GM made the rights to the Hydra-matic available to Nash-Kelvinator and NK offered the  patent rights for the Weather Eye Heater and ventilation system in exchange. Take some time and lay under the dash to study the GM system, it's really a work of art. Ron

Richardonly

Hello again,

OK, now I am a bit confused but think I see the problem.

In Jeff's photos, it appears there are 3 hose connections right below the fan motor. These are the pics of the older part on the deck.
The 2nd photo (newer looking part that shows the location of the fuse), has 2 hose connections to the left and 2 on the right. (Front and rear.)

This photo of a 1948 engine compartment ( not mine, but the same) shows an orange and black hose (s) to the RIGHT of the fan motor.

This being the case, it appears that 48 & 49 may have used different parts, AND do you know if the fuse exists on the 48?  Also, still not sure when the fan should start to blow if it is thermostaticaly controled.

Crazy 48s  :)

Thanks Richard
1995 Jaguar XJ6

Jeff Maltby 4194

4 pipes. 48 is a one year only heater, just like a 49 :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Richardonly

Thanks again Jeff.  That photo does show it much more precicely.

My photo of the engine compartment does show that the 2 lines enter to the right, rather than underneath, go throught the firewall and perhaps there is more routing inside the car, behind the dash.

There IS a fuse in the 1948, by the way.  Wasn't quite sure on that, until I received a wonderful article on 1948 heaters from another member, through the mail.  It appears Cadillac tried to solve many of the problems of the 48 in 1949. Or maybe they were just trying to cut costs.  Either way, a lot or simple parts like this are different.

Thank you again, Jeff
1995 Jaguar XJ6