News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Transmission Mount for 61 is it the same as a 62?

Started by Caddy Daddy, November 14, 2011, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Daddy

Hi Everyone, its been a while, been very busy. I have some stick valve problems in my 4 speed Jetaway Transmission, I have bought a full rebuild kit and now its come good, so I guess I'll eventually have to put the kit through it as I have a few problems now and then with this sticky valve where it gets stuck in first. Anyway I did have the transmission rebuilt 18 months ago, but it is looking like they did not do the full rebuild they said they did.....typical.

My questions though is I also need a rear mount for it and I have found one at a USA store but it says it is for 62, and when I made an enquiry they said: "1961 is an odd Duck and is all by itself. My listing is correct. I’m not sure what you do other than try and modify the one that looks closest to what you have?".

So tell me is the rear Transmission mount different from 61 to 62?

Oh yea, and a recommended place that I could buy one in Australia or USA?

Regards Milton Watkins, Gold Coast Australia
Milton Watkins

Dan LeBlanc

Milt, they are different.  The bolt holes are further apart on the 61 than the 62.  The 62 has more rubber cushioning also.

I just happen to have a 61 and 62 transmission on the floor of the garage at the moment.  The 62 transmission is going into the 61 and I was looking closely for differences.

If you're stuck, you can put the 62 crossmember in and use a 62 mount.  Where they bolt on the transmission is the same, it's just the mount itself is different.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Daddy

Thanks Dan, so does this mean it is harder to purchase a 61 Mount, or that the 62 Mount is much better and would be better to get another cross member, which maybe a bit harder for me here in Australia?

Regards Milton Watkins, Gold Coast, Australia
Milton Watkins

Dan LeBlanc

I've seen mounts up to 1960 and 1962-up.

I have yet to see a replacement 1961 mount - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Should you decide to go the 1962 route, I should have a couple of crossmembers kicking around if I can find them. 
Dan LeBlanc

Dave Shepherd

In a pinch why not redrill the crossmember to fit the mount.

Dan LeBlanc

Because you'd end up elongating the existing holes by doing so thus allowing for side-to-side movement of the engine and transmission.

Another option would be to cut out a square section of the crossmember where the holes are and weld in some new metal and re-drill to fit.
Dan LeBlanc

Caddy Daddy

Hi Dan & Dave, I guess the welding in of a new plate into the crossmember and re drill holes to suit the 62 mount sounds as though this maybe an easier option, but forgive me for my lack of mechanical knowledge but how does the mount bolt onto the transmission? And will this end be the same, I presume the 62's come standard with the same Transmission.

Regards Milton
Milton Watkins

Dan LeBlanc

There are two bolts on the housing that bolt into place. If you hang on until the weekend, I'll be transferring my 61 mount to the 62 transmission and I'll confirm the fit for you and photograph the two side by side.
Dan LeBlanc

Caddy Daddy

Hi Dan, yep, I can do that, thanks very much, look forward to seeing the pics, and getting the information. Regards Milton Watkins, Gold Coast, Australia.
Milton Watkins

Dan LeBlanc

Ok . . . just a few days early.  First pic is 61, second is 62.
Dan LeBlanc

Caddy Daddy

The holes on the 62 Mount look to be further apart than the mount on the 61, is this right?

So do you think the change of the cross member would be easier and the 62 mount far better, or do you think I might be able to just get a 61 mount from somewhere?

Thanks heaps for putting the pictures online, that is great.

Regards Milton Watkins, Gold Coast, Australia.
Milton Watkins

Dan LeBlanc

I'd try and find a 61 mount first - it seems much easier than modifying to fit to me.
Dan LeBlanc

Roger Zimmermann

Steele rubber is rebuilding the '62-'63 transmission mounts. I did that for a '63.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Caddy Daddy

Hey Guys, well I got on to EGGE over there in the states and they sold me a mount for my 61 Caddy, see pictures attached, is this the correct one, as it looks like the one in the picture of caddydaddy.com that I was told was for the 62 and the 61 was different. Tell me my picture if the right one for 61......please, if not it has to fly all the way back to the states again. Regards Caddy Daddy
Milton Watkins

dadscad

Looks like the mount for my 63 I bought last year from Caddy Daddy in California.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Caddy Daddy

Yea Caddydaddy.com had a picture of them in their online catalog, then when I got mine from EGGE.com, I had asked are they sure it is a 61 mount and they said yes, should of got them to tai a photo of it first. Regards Milton Watkins
Milton Watkins