News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 convertible hydraulic lines

Started by Gary Bakeslee, November 15, 2011, 02:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

I am looking for pictures of the hydraulic tubing lines across the top of the firewall under the hood of a 1947 convertible.  I think mine have a few more bends then needed.  I called  Inline Tube Co. in Shelby Twp. Mi.  but they do not have a pattern to work from. Would like to know if there are other tubing companies I could contact. 
                                                                     Thank You  Gary Blakeslee
Gary Blakeslee

Quentin Hall

There is a 47 conv being restored here in Oz and I know what you are talking about re the extra bends on the upper firewall. There was lots of debate in the shop that it was correct or not till we searched for other pics and seems it is correct.  I am away from the shop for two weeks but if you post a pic of your lines I could probably give you an OK or not OK.
          Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Paul Tesone

Gary - here are some pictures of my recently restored 47's firewall .  The car had one repaint sometime during its lifetime before I got it , so I  can't guarantee the tubing was replaced in its original configuration at the time of that repaint . But I'm pretty certain that my restorer replaced the tubing the way it was when I gave him the car . The first two photos show a different color blue than the last two photos . That's because  I gave my restorer the incorrect paint color ; and by the time I discovered my mistake , he had already sprayed the firewall and the dash . So I had him remove everything from the firewall and respray it and the dash with the correct color. Hope these photos help . A few other photos are posted on the restoration blog (7/2/11) . If I can be of any help , don't hesitate to contact me . Good luck . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Paul Tesone

Gary - second two pictures . P Tesone CLC # 6876

Paul Tesone

Gary - I just looked to see if my pictures posted correctly . On my computter , if I click on the picture rather than the numbers under the picture , I will get a supersized image . In doing so , I noticed something I was not aware of . Look at the third photo ( final paint-lighter blue ) . The middle of the three tubes exiting the firewall on the driver's side goes OVER the first tube and runs across the firewall between the first and third tubes . It seems to make more sense to me to have that middle tube positioned on top since it runs across the entire firewall to the passenger's side . This would avoid the bend over the first tube . So I looked closely at the first picture ( first paint- darker blue ) which I think still had the tubing that came with the car . Sure enough - that middle tube is on top and doesn't have the extra bend . This looks more correct, but what do I know ? I'll be watching with interest for replies from other more knowledgeable members .  I'm going to go to where the car is stored to see if I got the car back from the restorer with the tubing in the position that shows in the third photo . He may have repositioned it before he gave the car back to me . I get crazy about things like this , so if mine is positioned incorrectly , I'll have it changed . Looks like it would be an easy fix . I should be happy just knowing that the hydraulic system works , but I won't be if the position is wrong . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Jeff Maltby 4194

After opening, left click mouse again to Super Size it more.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Gary Bakeslee

Quentin, Iam also away from my car for a while, but the pictures Paul sent are a good  representation of what mine looked like.  Paul I see what you are talking about between the two pictures and the locatin of the tubes, the darker blue looks correct. 
Thanks for the help guys, on the location and bends in the tubing.   Now, I'm looking for a company to do the bending.       

Gary
Gary Blakeslee

49 Convertible

In looking at your pictures I note that you appear to have used teflon tape on your temp sender.....REMOVE IT AS YOU WILL NEVER GET A CORRECT TEMPERATURE READING WITH IT ONE THE THREADS....Just trying to prevent a problem later...

herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Paul Tesone

Thanks Herman - I did have the engine rebuilt expecting to cure an overheating problem. That seems to have worked ; BUT, the gauge does register much cooler than I ever expected . Perhaps you hit upon the reason . Good observation ! I'm surprised my restorer didn't pick up on that . He's usually very good at those type of things . I'll look into it come springtime . The car has been put away for the winter. Thanks again ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876