News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac hood hinges

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 15, 2011, 09:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Hi thanks in advance for helping me,

The front of my hood rides up slightly and it can be pushed down a little.  This does not seem to be an adjustment, but rather a worn hinge at all the pivot points.  The pivot fasteners are all stamped and it is not something I can restore unless, I just used bolts.  Plus I'm not sure it would for sure solve the problem.

Questions:  Do hood hinges wear out such that the front of the hood raises slightly for this year (this year is similar in operation to many others)?  Is there a facility that restores the hood hinges?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Hinges do wear out, but you should be able to adjust them so the hood closes completely.

The Side adjustment will allow the hinge to pull down, but also make sure the height adjusting screws aren't adjusted too high.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a firm that restores hood hinges.  SMS Restorations:
http://www.sms-auto.com/

I have no experience with them but they have been in business for
at least 15 years that I know of.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Scot Minesinger

Thanks,

This posting resulted in me purchasing a good used pair of hinges and I will restore the other set.  I have two 1970 Convertibles and the one is receiving an extremely high standard of restoration.

Scot Minesinger

Thanks  guys.  Removed the spring on side and it aligned perfectly, so I'm replacing the hinges this winter-enjoy the holiday season and upcoming new year!

Jeff Wilk

I have no relation to SMS other than being a customer this past summer.  They do absolutely the most amazing work I have ever seen.  Used them for the hinges, strike plates, for my 59 Fleetwood.  Cleaned, re-riveted as original, blasted, painted and/or cadmium plated.  These are now museum pieces!!!!  Seriously awesome.  Not cheap, but for a full Restoration and that POP when the hood opens....SMS is the place

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

I dont know if the 70 is the same as the mid 70's as far as hinge design but a tip I got from another member here on the pulling down issue was to actually raise the hinge at the point it attaches to the inner fender/ firewall.   It did the trick on my 73.   I also had the hinges rebuilt at SMS.  The rebuild helped a lot and that adjustment that is counter intuitive did the rest of the trick.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason