News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

First Red Eldorado

Started by jquinn, November 09, 2011, 10:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jquinn

A friend of mine told me that someone has located the very first red eldorado. Does anybody have any information on its location.

Thanks

Tony Love

Hello!
I have purchased under contract the first red 53 Eldo ever made.
It will eventually be shipped to Australia where it will undergo 
an extensive detailed restoration.

If anyone has any details relating to this car please let me know!

Thanks

Tony

jquinn

Wow! That car belongs in a museum.

Are you interested in selling it?

John

Dave Ventresca

Please, tell me what is the body #??  Back in the early 80's I saw body #007,  it was red. As I recollect it was somewhere in Los Angeles.Dave

rwchatham CLC 21892

Car #7 was white, car # 8 was the first red.
R. Waligora

veesixteen

I agree.  The first red Eldorado on record was VIN5362017441. That was car #8,  Thank you Matt Larson for your work on tabulating all the '53 Eldorado models.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Conklin

Okay, so what is the interior color of the first red Eldorado? Just curious.
Chris Conklin

Tony Love

Its a full red interior with a white roof
It currently has a Continetal kit and drivers sidespot light
It also has an Autronic eye
My understanding is that it also has the one peice window windscreen frame as early models did

Thanks for the questions and details

jquinn

Let me ask you guys this: What do you think being the first red eldo built does to the cars value compared to another red eldo restored to the same standards?

Thanks,

John

veesixteen

IMHO it does NOTHING ... and I bet I'm not alone in thinking that. 

rwchatham CLC 21892

I would tend to think it would bring more than another red one. With red being such a popular color on Eldorados, to have the very first one with different w.s. trim and such a low body number , I would think it would stand above the rest. It is nice when you have a real red car compared to all the non matching repainted cars let alone to say you have the very first one. I believe many people would pay a premium for that. But thats just my opinion.
R. Waligora

The Tassie Devil(le)

With all 1953 Eldorado's, no matter what the colour was, there being so few, for sale, that a yucky (unpopular) colour would get the same price as a nice colour.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

I hate to say it but I have to disagree Yann.
     The First Red Eldo! I'd say it is worth a 25% premium minimum. Personally I am not red car man but. . . . in any field or endeavour it's the point of difference that makes something more precious or special to a prospective buyer. That is why a 53 Eldo is worth $250k and a 53 Sedan $25k. 
      eg The Eisenhower Eldo is "priceless" as much for it's place in history as it is for its collectiblity as a 53 Eldo. Something is really only worth what someone is prepared to accept, when someone is sniffing around, prepared to offer.  Emotion  can affect the sanity of a purchaser to desire an item more than another. The higher the emotional desire, the higher the value afforded. Otherwise why would anyone buy a $5000 Rolex when a $13.50 Chinese quartz will tell the same Greenwich mean time ?.  Why would someone pay $16 million for a 57 Ferrari?
       Hopefully Tony will not need to be in a position to sell that red car anytime soon to calculate the premium , but I am sure that his investment will be fully protected by the fact that it is indeed a special car in the scheme of all things Cadillac.
       Hopefully if I do get the honour to work on it, you can rest assured that I will be sure to charge Tony a proportionate 25%minimum premium on my u$ual hourly rate for that honour. hehehaha.  Q     

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Tony Love

You can apply the 'first' theory to any car, first blue car, first yellow car, not sure if any of that means a great deal at all until you say, the first red car, and then you have 407 people reading this and somewhere in the back of my head I am also thinking its the first real red documented Cadillac. I don't know what all this means but I know it will mean something at some point.

Thanks for the input on all fronts but I think we are drifting from the topic, its not completely about how much it is worth, for me its about the uniqueness of the opportunity and a chance to share it with the Cadillac community.
Here is an opportunity for me to drag a car back from the brink of junk to its former glory and delight in the mystique of its 'firstness' along the way.
With assistance from 53 Eldo experts like Quentin Hall and Ross Morgan to help out along the way I know I will get an outstanding result and I will be aiming for a car that is above and beyond any other restoration, anywhere.

So if anyone has any nice 53 Eldo items they might want to sell/contribute please let me know!

Thanks again
Tony

veesixteen

Q., is the "last" red 1953 Eldorado likely to also fetch a premium over, say, the 2nd or the 531st red '53 Eldorados built?
Just joking !