News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

After Market A/C for 1957 Series 62

Started by Dan Koser, November 17, 2011, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

Has anyone tried to fit an after market air conditioning system into a non-factory A/C '57 Series 62 2-Dr. HT?

I understand certain components of the factory system were located in the trunk behind the rear seat.

Anyone ever try this with an after market system?  Regards,   Dan

Walter Youshock

1957 was the first year that all AC components were under the hood.  The only exception was the series 75 that still had separate front/rear systems.

There's not an awful lot of room under the '57 dash and most aftermarket units were mounted in the center of the lower dash--right where the '57 radio speaker is.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are looking for a compact unit, try contacting Vintage Air.   They have custom units that fit into the tight spaces in Hot rods, and are designed to be out of sight where possible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ed Eckhart #12747

I had a new aftermarket A/C system installed in my 1957 Series 62 convertible (non-A/C car) this summer. The center under dash location was not available because of the location of the speaker (which I did not want to disturb), so the unit was placed under the dash on the passenger side. It is not ideal, but there is still plenty of leg room. There are no kits available for these cars, so they basically make a custom system for you.. You do need to locate a crankshaft pulley from a 57 A/C car, which I would do before you start the project, because the lack of this part delayed me for over a month.

R Winchell

Dan
I have both triple belt pulleys and some other A/C odds and ends from a 58 Cadillac if you want them for your project.  contact me at... rwinch5418@bellsouth.net if you want pix and details.
                            Regards Bob W.