News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 series 72 with removable door pillar on right side

Started by CHARLES COMMERFORD, November 20, 2011, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLES COMMERFORD

hello fellow club members,
i purchased a 1940 series 72 cadillac fleetwood today and it has an unusual (to me) feature in that the passenger door pillar is removable. can anybody help me with why that feature is on this car? was it a standard feature on this model?
it has a handle on the inside of the pillar post that releases the pillar so that it may be completely removed.
i am new to your club and i would appreciate any help in answering this question.
i own a 1940 lasalle s&s hearse and in searching for parts for it, i ran across the 72 so i bought it as it was close by my house. what do i have????? ;D
thank you,
chuck commerford
cwcgec@comcast.net

okccadman

The removeable pillar indicates it is a "sedambulance" or invalid car.  In either case, the pillar comes out to facilitate the placement of a stretcher or wheelchair bound patient.  These usually have individual font seats with the pass side  beingremoveable.  Sometimes teh front bench is replaced when the car is taken out of service and sold.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

CHARLES COMMERFORD

TonyZappone #2624

Quite often funeral homes operated the ambulance services also, especially in rural areas.  These cars came equipped with two seats.  A small single seat was left in the driver's position, so that a stretcher could be placed on the passenger side floor, front to rear.  Moreover, these cars were quite often used for "first call" to pick up the deceased.  On the day of the funeral, a small portable crane-dolly mechanism removed the single driver's seat and set in place a full front seat for use as a limousine style car for the funeral.  Actually, pictures I have seen show the pillar oening with the rear door.  I suppose that the pillar could be anchored top and bottom for times when the fore and aft use was not required.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle