News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Hose Clamps Question

Started by Joe G 12138, November 22, 2011, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe G 12138

What are the correct style radiator and heater hose clamps for 1965? My 1965 Master parts book lists a 147 6679 for 1949-1964, which I presume to be a 2 wire type Radiator hose clamps (no pictures). It lists different numbers for 1965; 147 8756 and 148 5795. (two different sizes). Are these supposed to be Tower type clamps, single wire spring, or possibly even worm screw type? What type came from the factory per authenticity standards? Are the heater hose clamps supposed to be the single wire spring type?

My 1970 Master parts book says something totally different for group 1.166. 1949-1970 lists a 1470030 worm-type clamp with a 3/4-1 1/4" range for all cars(heater hoses) and a 148 8452 worm type with a 1 1/2- 2 1/2" range for all 1949-1970 Radiator hoses. No other options.

I doubt if this car would ever be judged. But if it were, Could it get by with the Worm type clamps on the grounds that that was the official GM service part per the Master parts book?

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The worm type stainless clamps were never original equipment and the
cars are judged vs. the "as it left the factory" standard. 

Therefore, using those will always result in a deduction.

I'm not sure what type was correct for your car.  Perhaps someone who
knows these better will chime in.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

P W Allen CLC# 20193

While we're on the subject, are the double wire type available in stainless? I bought a set from McVey's that are plated and they are starting to corrode and look bad. Joe, I think by 65, they had gone to the tower type for radiator hoses. I believe the heater hoses were the single wire spring type.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Joe G 12138

Paul: I haven't seen the 2 wire availible in stainless. I bought some 2 wire regular (lightly plated) last year for a future job on my '55, and they're already looking kind of crappy just sitting in the bag. Stainless would be nice...could spray 'em with flat silver paint for the purists.

I never got a straight answer on proper radiator hose clamps for the '65 from anyone yet....the vendors will sell you anything you want. Master parts book has no picture of the numbers listed. Shop manual shows engine without hoses. I was tempted to use the 2 wires that were supposed to be used on the '55 so I can get this car done before the REAL midwest deep freeze hits, but instead I ordered some tower clamps. Should be here in a few days; hope the weather holds out. I'll just have to hope they're right. If not, too bad. Still would be nice to know for sure, though.