News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where are the young intrested in 1930's cars?

Started by Stinson, November 22, 2011, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Saturday, I entered my 1937 Cadillac Sedan in the 3rd Annual Capital City Classic Car, Truck & Bike Show that was held to benefit the Junior Navy ROTC in Annapolis, Maryland. There may have been 200 or so cars including Mustangs and many muscle cars there having beautiful paint jobs and very hefty engines as well as several custom 1930's cars. The top twenty were called up front to receive their awards and recognition as I knew they would. But, in the end they called out my number and the '37 Cad SD restoration received the Cadets Choice plaque. This is significant because the twenty or so Junior Cadets there (in their late teens) voted the '37 Cad as their top choice. I could not believe that outcome, with all those high end mods there. So, I know where the young interested in 1930's cars were that day.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ty

Congratulations on your Cadets Choice plaque at the 3rd Annual Capitol City Classic Car, Truck & Bike Show. That gathering is very prestigious and renown in America. You deserve applause.

To address your question regarding our young descendants here is my opinion. Quite often during my leisure time I read Self-Starters from the sixties where the same quiry reverberates. The answer seems to be consistent. When they are drawn to honey, quality craftmanship and styling always brings the masses to adore.

I enjoy motorcycles, new vehicles, restomods and muscle cars. Despite the global exposure of internet games and social networks the Stardard of the World will always be evident.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Andrew Pullin

Well, I'm not too young any more (27), but I do seem to be on the younger end of the age distribution in this Cadillac / LaSalle scene. As far as I'm concerned, the 32 Ford has been "done to death". Same with the Willy's dragsters. Mustang restorations, too ... there was a whole industry of Mustang restoration for a while. A lot of it has been reduced to a "plug & play" type of affair ... building a Camaro from scratch out of a catalog and such.
TV shows have likely contributed to that ennui, too: "Street Customs" and "Overhaulin'" and such have produced quite a volume of resto-mod vehicles.

So, the Caddy's and LaSalles are pretty "rare", genuinely different, but still surprisingly accessible. So the increasing interest is understandable. (it's almost easier to get parts for my '40 LaSalle than it is to get certain ones for my RX7)

Plus, all the hearses are Cadillacs, and that's what I'm really after  ;D
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/