News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

should i or shouldnt I

Started by timsteinman, November 25, 2011, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timsteinman

I found or may i say my dad found a 1967 fleetwood limo. Its a 4 door and doesnt have the glass divider. The inside is in great shape. Blue interior. The outside is black and has some paint problems but no rust on panels. I dont know if she runs. My guess is yes because my dad talked to the owner that has had it for 35 yrs. It has 53k miles and he wants 3500.00. Just some old man in his 70's wanting to get it out of his garage. Are they hard to deal with??? Money Pits???? Thinking about buying it and having it repainted and tuned up, new tires and giving to my dad.  What do you think??? O and the car had your car club emblem on it.

bcroe

Certainly it can be repaired.  Tires yes, you need to go through the brakes, the
trans, and install a new timing chain, if you expect it to be safe & reliable. 

good luck, Bruce Roe

Dan LeBlanc

No matter the condition, any old car is a money pit.   ;)  You'll get it, drive it for awhile, decide you want to make something better or make a slight tweak here and there.  That's the wonderful thing about this addiction of ours. >:D
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Series75

I too have owned a Limousine for some 35 yrs and here's what I've learned.   1.)  If you are looking for an enjoyable drive for short runs like going to the Mini Mart or pick up the dry cleaning...........this is not the car to do it in.  It's very large, heavy and not very quick to maneuver.   I've purchased regular bodied Cadillacs to supplement the collection and find the limo as consistently the last  choice to take out.   2.)  Clean ups are major projects.   These 60's cars have larger enough hoods and trunk lids, add those huge quarter panels and that bill board sized roof panel and you have some significant time to keep the car looking great.  3.)  These 75 Series cars are built for heavy duty use.  So once you make the car road worthy it should perform with the same or maybe a little less regular maintenance.  The HVAC is another issue.  If you get lucky and can plug a leak great, if problems are deeper, you have a challenge to find a capable and willing repairman and you may have in fact stepped into the money pit.  4.)  BUT for special occasions like out to that special dinner, or special events, you will not find a greater conversation piece or elegant vehicle to transport your family and friends.   
PS:  If the car has a 6 way drivers seat and tilt telescopic steering wheel you may enjoy driving more so than without these options.
Tom CLC#6866

TJ Hopland

I have not owned a limo myself but have a friend that owned a hearse / ambulance combo car and my impression was pretty much the same as Tom's.  I dont think we ever got the heat to work without leaks and never even tried the AC.  It had a bench seat, not tilt or T, and manual windows so it was not very comfortable to drive and was difficult to find parts for.  It was difficult to work on because of its size, you could not close the garage door.  If you took it somewhere for service you had to go somewhere that could take extended cab trucks. It tended to be the last car to be driven and the most valuable so it got sold.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

C.R. Patton II

Hello Tim

Wonderful to hear that you are intrested in a Cadillac limousine.

I have a few questions

1. Do you have disposable income?
2. Are you or your Dad mechanically inclined?
3. Is the "Old man a member of the CLC?
4. Have you considered having a CLC region member in your area inspect the vehicle for you?
5. Why was the car parked for 35 years?
6. Did you try to find a CLC or Professional Car member in your area with a similar gift that is running?

Finally that old man did not "just fall off a truck". That amount seems high for a nonpremium automobile. All of the old men I know are tough as leather and smart as soles.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Dave Shepherd

The non divider window limo was a called a corporatre limo, also on the hd commercial chassis, lots of running gear p[arts are hard to come by, as everybody warned this is not any easy car to drive or  refurbish regarding the running gear, special brakes, 8 ply tires and so on.

Brett Baird

A friend of mine owns 5 classic Cadillacs: coupes, sedans and a limo.  The one he picks to drive the most is the 65 limo.  I say go for it.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Matt

I own approximately 25 Professional Cars, and have driven them thousands of miles.  There is really no difference between driving a limo or a "standard" Cadillac of the same year.  The price listed seems a little high for a car that has not been driven for many years - be prepared to spend many thousands to get it running.
Matthew Taylor
PCS MO Route 66 Chapter President

jaxops

This is a very fine limousine.  I absolutely loved the blue interiors that Cadillac started to come out with regularly in the 66-68 time period for the Series 75 cars.  They had them for a while but they really were popular in this timeframe as a change from the gray wool broadcloth.  I find these cars to be very easy to drive.  For some reason the steering wheels and shift levers are small and delicate compared with the older Cadillacs.  Interesting.  Stacked headlights, blue interior, limousine = I would buy it!

The group is right about going through the car.  These cars don't like to sit, so stand by for leaks!  Be prepared with parts, go through all of the systems.  I would also have a new radiator in mind, all hoses, and also check your rear differential and power steering.  If the AC doesn't work, don't make it a priority.  If it does, you're in luck.

Merry Christmas!

M Monaghan
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Cadillac Nut

Hi Tim,
Just found your post... I own a '67 Fleetwood limo, same as the one you are considering (w/o divider).  Few cars are more elegant, the '67 is the best of the 60s limos in my opinion.   Mine is silver w/ grey interior.  These cars are a blast.  Yes they are very large (20 feet 5 in to be exact), but are easy to drive, they handle well and feel very solid.  You need a lot of space for parking though, it requires some getting used to.  The 429 engine was reliable and performs well.   I have had mine outside (covered, of course).  The engine has started without issue in negative temps.  I personally have not had a problem finding parts.  Washing and cleaning this definitely takes a lot of time, but then again, any '50s or '60s Cadillac does because they are all so big.   Once the A/C and heat are operating, they work excellent.   Keep in mind there is a front and rear A/C so if they need service, it won't be cheap.   The price seems a bit high though.  Has it been driven?   These cars do not like to sit, even for just a few weeks.  Make sure it runs and test the systems and accessories.  And once it runs, make sure it says that way, you don't want to have one of these towed!  If it hasn't been driven, many parts will need replacement or refurbishment.  I would go through brakes, replace fuel pump, water pump & timing chain, rebuild carb, replace all lines and hoses, of course do full tune up,  flush all fluids, probably replace alternator, etc.      I drive mine around town often.   Attracts a ton of attention (especially with 4in whitewalls and wire wheels)!.   Your dad would enjoy it. 

Garrett Baker         

Series75

Well Tim.............DID YOU or DIDN'T YOU????  - TomCLC#6866

Richardonly

Tim,

The "Old guy in his 70s" may be a kid to some here or a brother in arms.  That being said, what did you do?  Have you deceided to purchase this limo?

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle