News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

brake lines for a '72 eldorado?

Started by Hankk17, November 26, 2011, 12:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

OK another question - where do you guys recommend I shop for replacement brake lines for my '72 eldo?  I've found a set at Inline tube http://www.inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Lines/Web%20Line%20Listings/CA-CAT-06.htm  for $155.00

anyone know of anything better or cheaper?

thanks!
Wherever you go... There you are

TJ Hopland

As far as function goes the line is cheap and easy to find and its not that hard to bend by hand.  If you are going for original then inline tube seems to be the best (and possibly the only) option. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hankk17

Thanks TJ.  I also found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-line-kit-Cadillac-Eldorado-Seville-1972-1973-/300616376858?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fe21e21a

it's intriguing but I know ebay is full of things that aren't really what the seem.  I suppose I've sunk so much into replacement parts already that $45 is just a drop in the bucket now lol  :)

The Tassie Devil(le)

That ebay "kit" is not exactly what you need, or want.

The description describes that you will have parts left over, and that it fits all Chevrolets.

Personally, I would be going to the Brake Shop, and purchasing a roll of Bundi Tubing, and if you don't have a Flaring Tool, buy one, and a good one at that, and making your own.

Once you have mastered the "art" of making the correct flares, you will be set for life.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

That 'kit' is pretty much what you could buy at any parts store.  It would likely cost more than $45 which would make me suspicious of the quality in that kit.

Just curious why you are replacing the whole system?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Hankk17

pretty bad rot on both sides from a previous replacement job that wasn't done well.  The master cylinder is also leaking into the brake booster and one caliper isn't working at all.  SO since we'll be taking the system apart anyhow, may as well swap em out.

Lars Kneller 8246

I put a whole set from Inline Tube when I restored my 72, and they fit fine. I think they used my old ones for their templates, as I had to send them to them for such.

Hankk17

That's funny Lars - I'll bet they used yours as a template for the sets they sell now.  :)

abriddell

I recently replace a section of brake line on my 72 Eldorado that ran from the rear center hose to the rear left wheel cylinder.  Tubing (30" x 3/16") ran less than $5 at Farm & Fleet; flare tool with double-flare capability was about $35 at local auto parts store.  Not terribly difficult to do.  Eventually I'll get around to replacing all of the lines going to the rear of the car, but I need to take care of the ball joints first. 
Andrew Briddell
1972 Eldorado Convertible

TJ Hopland

I think that was the same / only line I had to replace on my 73 Eldo when I first got it running 15+ years ago.   

Somewhere I think I posted a how to double flare.  I will see if I can find it again for anyone that is interested.

Found it.... 
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=110078.msg160029#msg160029
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV