News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bulb socket wire ends ??

Started by gary griffin, November 27, 2011, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

In the process of preparing my light buckets to install after painting I found that my wiring harness included the wires into the sockets and the plastic positioner ( My wiring harness diagram calls it a socket washer) and spring but not the pieces that go on the end of the wires and connect with the contacts on the bulb.

They must crimp on because there are  no signs of heat from soldering.

My question is what are they called and where can I buy them??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Philippe M. Ruel

These are called "brass buttons" on Rhode Island Wiring Services website, where you may purchase them : http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/washers.htm

They can be soldered with little or no sign of heat (been there, done that), which is much "cleaner" -and safer- than crimping them without a proper factory tool that may be available or not.
1952 60 Special in France.

gary griffin

Thanks Philippe,

I purchased my wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring and I am surprised that they did not come with the harness.  I will try to guess how many I need and order a few extras also. Time to dig out the old soldering gun I guess?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

caddychap

I just bought a socket repair kit from Strauss Auto Parts for about 3 bucks.  It includes 2 socket washers (plastic positioners), the spring that goes between them, and 2 wires (each with the brass button attached to the end).  You could buy this kit and just use the 2 wires, splicing them to the 2 wires on your wiring harness.  I fixed my socket this way.  Good luck.