News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 caddy de ville engine oil

Started by 1969cadillac, December 03, 2011, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello!

i have just run in the engine in on this car

1,000 miles

was thinkin of changing to full syntehtic

but wonder if this is a good idea?

would i get more power and fuel economy?

better protection for the splash feed camshaft?

i am already running an additive for the camshaft

your thoughts please , Murray Mules

Dave Shepherd

Murray. engine is rebuilt, if so I would use any good 10/30 and someone's ZDDP additive, that should be fine.

Kevin Bielinski #13320

If your going to use synthetic, start now, Don't switch over once the miles are high.
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
1983 Buick LeSabre Limited

62droptop

when going to run synthetic, make damn sure the rings are completely broken in, or they may never completely break in
talk to the person who built the engine(or if you did it yourself) to find out what finish and rings were used on the bore
i ran into that problem a bunch of years ago
went synthetic too soon with chrome top rings and ended up with a oil smoker
drove me nuts,pulled engine,honed out and new rings again, ran about 5000 miles then switched, never smoked again to this day and that was almost 20yrs ago

i personally like to put at least 4-5000 miles before i go full synthetic just to make sure it doesnt happen again

brian faull clc#25881

I use Brad Penn motor oil. It contains all the zinc and phosphorus additives your engine needs. Almost all motor oils you purchase from the auto parts store have removed the zinc and phosphorus additives removed. They removed them due to government mandates as these additives damage catayltic converters and are not necessary in modern roller motors. However without these additives you will have premature wear to your camshaft and lifter assemblies.  Brad Penn is recommended by Isky cams and is a very good oil. Good luck, Brian. 
brian faull clc#25881

dadscad

Murry,

If you are interested in using a full synthetic lubricants that will protect your engine, transmission and differential, I recommend Amsoil full synthetic lubricants. Amsoil has several oil viscosity formulations that work very well to protect older engines. I use the HDD 5-30 in my 63 CDV. I also use the ATF full synthetic transmission fluid in the transmission and the Severe Gear 75-90 gear oil in the differential.

If you are interested in product literature send me a PM.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille